Discuss Which Test Kit. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon Chaps. We’re doing more and more EV Chargers. I have the Megger 1711, however when I do the charger I borrow my good mates 1741+.
We have the Rolec box for testing aswell.
I’m now looking at the Fluke 1664FC tester, has anyone got it, ideally I want to move away from Megger, I keep having issues.
cheers

I have the FLUKE 1664FC and find it's possibly the best MFT I have used, particularly the "Auto Test" function and populating the Fluke Software, although the software does look a bit dated, it is automatic from the USB connection or even Bluetooth.

I have the FLUKE 1664FC and find it's possibly the best MFT I have used, particularly the "Auto Test" function and populating the Fluke Software, although the software does look a bit dated, it is automatic from the USB connection or even Bluetooth.

What about Metrel
Never used it, just had a look and I don’t think I like the touch screen. Rather keep it simple with dials

The problem with asking a question like this, is that most people stay loyal to whatever they buy first, so not many have used multiple products from different manufacturers, I am guilty of this only having use three different types, but still keep going back to Fluke.

The problem with asking a question like this, is that most people stay loyal to whatever they buy first, so not many have used multiple products from different manufacturers, I am guilty of this only having use three different types, but still keep going back to Fluke.
When I have been onsite with other sparks just to keep the testing consistent most of the time you generally use one meter so I have used some different meters but you always feel more comfortable when you get back to your own meter
For me if it is a multimeter it's generally Fluke, MFT it's Metrel not the go to for many electricians but I like them
So as you say opinions can be biased to what you use

Is it the case that to properly test the current EV chargers the tester needs to be capable of testing rcds with 6ma dc current?

I wonder if everyone fitting the EV chargers is actually doing this? Or if they actually have to?

Which MFT are capable of this besides the Megger 1741 plus.

Is it the case that to properly test the current EV chargers the tester needs to be capable of testing rcds with 6ma dc current?

I wonder if everyone fitting the EV chargers is actually doing this? Or if they actually have to?

Which MFT are capable of this besides the Megger 1741 plus.
Yes it is just to add to be able to do the 6mA DC test on the EV Charger. Looking at the 1741+ now.
Spoke to a rep from fluke who said do a Type A RCD on 10mA and that’s alright to do but I’m a bit wary.

Interesting, I had forgot that the Fluke had the ability to test at 10ma, I assume that the test on a EV instal requires a test at 1/2, 1 & 5 so 3, 6 & 30 , the Fluke could do this at 5, 10 & 50, it would be very interesting to compare the results obtained between a dedicated tester and the Fluke or any other MFT that offers lower settings.

I Have no idea what one to go for either but I'm going to have to make a decision fast as I'll be having to get use to using/working one soon.

I did take note of a top sparky once telling me that if something breaks or goes wrong with your mft that's it your stuffed.

His advice and preference was to go for all individual testers

It did seem like a good point to me

Always go for the best you can afford, plus a bit more, upgrading is an expensive way of going about it, the facility of plugging a lead into a socket to do some of the testing can not be over emphasised as a time saver the addition of "Auto Testing" even more.

On multiple units, you will soon get very tiered of lugging around three or four different testers where one will do the job, the modern testers are very reliable, if you read back through this thread some are over twenty years old, in any case most can be repaired in one of two days.

Reply to Which Test Kit. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net