Discuss Who can wire a boiler? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markymark

Hi,

I have just had a new boiler fitted and the fitter says i need a sparky to wire it because he is not certified to do electrical work.
The sparky came today, wired the 10 way connection box but wouldnt connect to the boiler because he isnt certified to dismantle the boiler to make the connection. He says he cant even remove the front cover from the boiler.

Do i have to find a sparky who is gassafe registered to complete the connection?

Thanks

Hi,

Do i have to find a sparky who is gassafe registered to complete the connection?

Thanks
No you do not Mark. You just need a competent sparky rather than the Jobsworth it was your misfortune to encounter today. He is typical of the 'cowboy' that damages our trade. No competent sparky would fob you off with such drivel, I can only assume it was to hide his/her own inadequacy to do the job. Post your location and I'm sure one of the forum members will be able to do the connection for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkyMark, I am both a Spark and a Gas Safe registered Heating Engineer...... not sure there are too many about though? Are you anywhere near Cheshire!!!

MarkieSparkie is bang on though, it sounds like both the Gas fitter and the Spark were absolute clowns!

Another example of quick fix training in my opinion where somebody is out of their depth with little knowledge and experience to complete the task.

Thanks for the replies. The boiler manfr said that anyone can perform whatever is detailed in the owners manual. Gassafe's leaflet says aslong as no gas pipes or combustion seals are touched then its ok.

Ive lost faith with my sparky. I thought it odd when he insisted on 3 lighting and 3 power circuits for my small 3 bed semi.
He even needed the instructions from the packet to wire the intermediate switches!!!!
I pulled the socket face from the wall to paint behind, on 1 the earth was hanging in the air and the other, the lives popped out!!!
He is napit registered and is wiring my house for a fixed price, so im stuck with him unfortunately

No you're not, get the NICEIC or HSE in to check his work, I doubt if he'll be a memberof the NICEIC but they can give you the ammunition to throw him off the job.

Mr.Ian, you are nearly right, he did insist on a loft ladder rather than a pair of steps to get into the loft.

Most of the joints he makes secure on the sleeving rather than the copper wire, he then spends ages fannying about "megging" it, wondering why the circuits dont work and having to redo joints.

Reply to Who can wire a boiler? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net