Discuss Wholesale prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know where rmc86uk is coming with the prices. I get things at cost prices sometimes from our wholesaler, this is because I work for a large company and we spend mega bucks there. But sometimes they can't compete with diy stores. My answer to whether buying large or small is too shop around and haggle.

Yes just depends on the discount you get from the wholesaler who are adding on up to 70% on cost price. Then they give you your discount even then screwfix can be cheaper. When I re-wired my house I bought everything from screwfix most things where cheaper there and thats for good brands too, all MK.

To get decent prices in the wholesaler, you usually need to show your face a few times. Once they recognise you, and especially if you have a laugh with them, you'll start to see the discount. Even better if you have an account with them, although you need to check invoices cos you get the occasion small item costing a fortune 'by accident'. You'll not get any discount buying a single accessory twice a year.

To get decent prices in the wholesaler, you usually need to show your face a few times. Once they recognise you, and especially if you have a laugh with them, you'll start to see the discount. Even better if you have an account with them, although you need to check invoices cos you get the occasion small item costing a fortune 'by accident'. You'll not get any discount buying a single accessory twice a year.

I think it's also to do with which wholesaler you use. I use a small independant and they are great. I also use cef and you may as well hand them a tallow covered son-t and bend over where price is concerned, no matter how many times you've been there before.

i found screw fix were the cheapest place to buy MK from.

any of my wholsalers cant match their price.

especially with the bulk prices they do.

tell me about it. yesterday i went into local cef (as they were the only wholesaler within 10 miles) . 2 lengths 25mm sticky bak mini-trunking. guess the price quoted. i'll wait for a few guesses and then tell what he asked for.

under a tenner inc the vat.Then when you get the invoice throught the post it will have an extra 0 on the end.Manager of local cef to me drives a 30k audi,all that commision adds up.

I find the independant 'local' suppliers/wholesalers dont have the buying power to give the cheaper prices you can find at the likes of screwfix etc ..... who also cater for the DIY market. Limited scope of what they supply admittedly. I also find the 'local' suppliers/wholesalers have a bit of a captive market with the bigger companies who having an account pay what it costs without shopping around. Plus they have the 'professional' small trader who stubbornly believes his 'local' suppliers/wholesalers are the cheapest! I guess it varies area to area.

The trouble is that any Tom, Dick or Harry ( iet) can go into B & Q or whatever shed, look at the prices and pay the same as the Sparks who's trying to do a decent job and earn a few quid legit. I've had fellow Sparks who, on giving the customer the bill, have had an inquisition into how much the materials cost and how much mark-up they've put on. Hardly fair, IMHO. Prices vary so much as has been mentioned, because of buying power discounts, quality and the name on the box, split pack prices et al. Best thing to do is stick with a few trusted well known names and support your wholesaler where possible :)

I've got a cash job next week fitting 34 Downlights in a home, I've been to my main wholesaler and to a secondary one , the first could give me click fire guard for £9 no lamp, the second £8.34 with no lamp (Robus) but neither could match Electricfix who were £7.60 with a lamp (Robus) good fitting but crap terminal so will have to wire in 1.0mm to loop it, I'd prefer the click as they are class but at £70 dearer on a small job It pays the wages of the mate

I don't buy enough gear to build up a relationship with them so I'll just have to stay with Screwfix for now.

I'm in the same boat, having just started out "blind" so to speak. I do tend to find that I will use Eddys if I need something "now" as its within a mile of me. But at the moment, for any middle jobs, then Screwfix it is.

And I'd much rather be dealing with a local little fella than a multi-outlet supplier.

One day.....

You say you use Edmondsons well the wholesalers the firms uses is owned by them and I think there expensive. Another example of 10mm T+E was £3.40 + Vat per metre but another wholesalers it was £2 + Vat.

Last edited:
You say you use Edmondsons well the wholesalers the firms uses is owned by them and I think there expensive. Another example of 10mm T+E was £3.40 + Vat per metre but another wholesalers it was £2 + Vat.

I have accounts with Eddys and have never paid more than £2.40 per metre for 10mm T & E and this was several years ago when the price of copper was at a record high.
If I was you I would negotiate a little more and get the "going rate" on any item you buy from any wholesaler..... they sell 1 or 10 items at the same unit price so amounts should not affect your price on regularly used items such as 1 gang MK switches etc.
The MK switch spoken of earlier in this post was probably a 1 gang 2 way which would account for the extra 30p charged.... being an "Electrician" you should have realised this.
.... And lastly a roll of 2.5 Twin & Earth at Screwfix is £41.50 plus VAT and at Eddys it is £34.00 plus VAT.
Even if you paid a fiver a switch the cost of the cable would save you thousands a year by using a proper wholesaler like Eddys instead of jokers like Screwfix.
Old ladies and DIY ers use Screwfix.... keep it professional and buy professionally...
Now I'll sit back and wait for the first insult to arrive........

I have accounts with Eddys and have never paid more than £2.40 per metre for 10mm T & E and this was several years ago when the price of copper was at a record high.
If I was you I would negotiate a little more and get the "going rate" on any item you buy from any wholesaler..... they sell 1 or 10 items at the same unit price so amounts should not affect your price on regularly used items such as 1 gang MK switches etc.
The MK switch spoken of earlier in this post was probably a 1 gang 2 way which would account for the extra 30p charged.... being an "Electrician" you should have realised this.
.... And lastly a roll of 2.5 Twin & Earth at Screwfix is £41.50 plus VAT and at Eddys it is £34.00 plus VAT.
Even if you paid a fiver a switch the cost of the cable would save you thousands a year by using a proper wholesaler like Eddys instead of jokers like Screwfix.
Old ladies and DIY ers use Screwfix.... keep it professional and buy professionally...
Now I'll sit back and wait for the first insult to arrive........

I've said it before, screw fix is only good for screws and fixings and the occasional out of hours callout on Sundays etc when the wholesalers is shut.

Reply to Wholesale prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net