Discuss Wholesale prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I usually just buy materials from Screwfix when doing little jobs of my own but I was at the firms wholesalers so paid for an MK 1 gang socket and 25mm back box...£6.40. I then thought I'll just search Screwfix...£2.93! Now I thought Screwfix would be expensive but its the obviously the wholesalers! I just dont understand why a trade place would be more expensive than a big DIY place! I had the same problem the other week when I went into B&Q and got some stuff from tradepoint and one thing was an MK 1 gang switch £1.38. The sales person then told me that some of the other stuff I needed was on the main shop floor and then I saw the MK switches for £1.08! I queried why the trade counter was more expensive and he said that it must have been the wrong make and I said that I'm not stupid and know MK when I see it! His reply was do I really want to walk all the way back to save 30p! They even had them online at £1.08 when I checked! No wonder customers just go to to the big DIY stores!

Wholesalers generally have better quality than DIY shops, and screwfix IMO is terrible.

I know we're talking all MK here, but whats the bets the B&Q MK has been in use somewhere, and it'll be shagged within a week. I'd much prefer wholesaler stock than B&Q...if it's more money, inform the client whatever the job is will cost a 5er extra.

Granted, DIY stores shouldn't be more than the wholesaler so god knows what's gone on their. Was it a new employee behind the counter? Im having trouble with wholesaler staff not having a clue - could of been a made up price on the spot lol, go back next week the same socket will be a £1.

those place seem to have different prices for different people :-(

I just stay away, TLC for me (prices available online, same for everyone), electrifix or tool station.

To be honest with you because I don't buy lots of materials for big jobs I think Screwfix is good plus I can get a price anytime of day or night and there isn't much that they dont sell! Usually when I'm in wholesalers and ask they never know price of stuff or if they do it's ex VAT which is no good to me!

One switch? One socket? Wholesalers sell them in boxes of 10 or 20, thats why they are called wholesalers after all. Buy in bulk, like 95% of sparks and you will get better prices and the quality of that Marbo rubbish from Screwfix is something you`ll never see in your local wholesaler

I didn't want a bulk pack I wanted one and Screwfix came out on top in this case. Also most wholesalers do a cheap and nasty choice e.g Volex or Polar and the better quality such as MK.

One switch? One socket? Wholesalers sell them in boxes of 10 or 20, thats why they are called wholesalers after all. Buy in bulk, like 95% of sparks and you will get better prices and the quality of that Marbo rubbish from Screwfix is something you`ll never see in your local wholesaler

Never thought of that - you've probably smashed the nail on the head.

If you've disrupted a box of 5/10/20 then they'll probably charge more for the single, because then they'll have already opened boxes struggling to be shifted upon the shelf.

You shoulda just got a box, it's not like they never come in handy.

I didn't want a bulk pack I wanted one and Screwfix came out on top in this case. Also most wholesalers do a cheap and nasty choice e.g Volex or Polar and the better quality such as MK.

Then you will pay more, a lot more. Until you use Marbo you don`t know what cheap and nasty is. Volex are OKish, Their CUs are good nowadays, and the MCBs and RCBOs are just rebadged Crabtree/Wylex

Cheers Taffyduck, very slightly off topic - so i can say my mini-rant.

CPN RCD's are complete horse s***!

Replaced literally 50 (probably more) for Hager in the last 18months on caravan park's - not sure who's going around putting them in, but whoever you are (caravan park electric maybe) please stop, they are terrible.

Your missing the point here in that my original post I state that Screwfix was a lot cheaper than the wholesalers! Just working it out with the MK socket alone Screwfix was £2.53 cheaper than the wholesale price! Are you telling me if I'd bought a box of 10 they would have been cheaper? You would think so but in this case obviously not as the individual item price is far far cheaper at Screwfix in the first place! Let's do a little test and if you can get a price for a 1 gang MK switched socket and see how much your wholesaler charges.

Just to add after checking TLC online if you buy 10+ on this item you save 12p each item!

Last edited:
Prices in wholesalers all depends on what discount they get from the manufacturer and what discount they give each individual customer. Screwfix have massive buying power so get large discounts and shift lots of stock at low profit. All depends on the size of your wholesaler and how much you buy from them.

A useful phrase in the wholesalers to remember is "is that your cheapest price on those?" and also play them off against each other when pricing.

Some wholesalers will just not be able to compete on price with massive retailers, but the likes of screwfix generally sell the lower end brands. I do use toolstation myself, but a local independant wholesalers is always my first stop as price is always negotiable.

Wholesalers have prices for walk-ins and other prices for account customers. I typically get 30 per cent off list price at the wholesaler, often 50 per cent, plus a settlement discount on the account if I pay on time at the end of the month. Also in favour of wholesalers versus the sheds, you want something the wholesalers will get it for you - you want something from the sheds and it's got to be on the shelf; they get their prices by buying in bulk on a limited range of gear. So yes, you may well find MK cheaper in B&Q because they sell it by the lorry-load while the wholesaler sells lesser amounts and a lot of other choices. Try the comparison on other stuff - how's B&Q on T&E, for instance?

PJ

I see what your saying but Screwfix pretty much sell every possible electrical accessory going. I thought he would have given me discount on a cash sale because of the amount of money the firm spends.

Try the comparison on other stuff - how's B&Q on T&E, for instance?

PJ
Last time I bought 5 drums of (Prysmian) 2.5 T&E, Screwfix won hands down, and that was before I was registered as "trade". Delivery etc shouldn't come into it either as one small walk while you have a tab is all the distance is between Screwfix and the wholesaler. Just waiting for ToolStation to open their new store across from them now.

But Prismian comes in that silly DIY box. My wholesalers are at a guess 5% cheaper than Screwfix on like for like and they deliver to site on the day I order it. Having said that I do watch out for Electricfix offers. Just got 10 x MK 17th Edition populated boards for 500 plus Vat which is a great price.

Of course I get credit too which I dont get at Screwies.

Last edited:
Build a relationship with them, much better that way. Mine are a relatively small outfit with 6 depots in total. I like the idea that I practice what I preach ( most of the time lol) and buy local. You will find three things. One is the prices are very competitive, the delivery is quicker and as I am a good customer they put a lot of work my way. I cant remember ever getting a call saying " I was talking to the guys in Screwfix and they recommended I give you a call so that you caN come and re-wire my house"

Reply to Wholesale prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net