Discuss Why can't I post to the DIY forum? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you westy. I have been unable to post a recent reply, so your timely advice has caused me to cancel my attempt, which is probably A Good Thing, as Winnie The Pooh might say!

Did you have access to it beforehand?

That's strictly for DIYers, and a select few professionals who don't mind helping them out in there.

I assume you don't mind helping in there then? Rather than not wanting to chip in with some trolling like we just had? :D

Yes, Dan, I had access to all areas except Arms, which is fair enough as i am DIY.
Nor do I troll.
Sometimes my attempts at a lighthearted approach have fallen foul of the rules, but the rules keep changing...
A poster asked about installing a shower...suddenly a new thread appears on this, with a comment about frying a kiddie in Spain...I am confused!
Ah...found it now... Dan, I regret you have gone just too far on this, especially for someone who is not an electrician... I am not either, but I think the forum needs to have some flexibility. Coincidentally, I have installed many showers in the UK and a couple in Spain, I have rewired a few places (always checked by professionals) and plumbed/installed many bathrooms and kitchens...never had a fail yet. I won't have a so-called plumber in my house, ever again. I am better than most of them (except gas, i don't touch that these days), and a high-handed approach here is not in keeping (note the lack of a hyphen) with the ethos of this platform. This is a forum, and sometimes funny things happen on the way there (anyone under 60 probably won't get that reference!) You can run a place, and make the rules, but you cannot expect everyone to like them.

Wow. Lunatics are allowed here I'm afraid mate. So that's good news for you. :D

You weren't involved in the thread in question, so don't get yourself involved. It's not emmerdale. :D

If you are DIY, you should have marked your account as such during the recent quest to ask people to do so. Can you update your account type here for me?

What type of forum member are you? - Should be set to DIY.
And then you will have the DIY tag, and access to the DIY area.

You can only change that option once.

As for the mental people on here like yourself, I think you'll enjoy something we're about to open up to the rest of the forum (we've been playing with it and testing it out Lou and I have, and it should be handy for a few things, and give you an area of the forum free-from-moderation [notice the hyphens] - and the double brackets). ;)

Lunatic and mental?
Me?
Well, I guess i am a bit "off the wall" sometimes, but not a lot.
However, I think those tags are a bit unfair
I have mentioned many times that I am a DIYer, not an electrician. I also believe, given my "reactions" and responses, that I have contributed reasonably to a number of threads where I have had experience in the matters under discussion.
I have never ridiculed or belittled, I have occasionally posted a response which was meant as a jest and never had anyone complain (except a mod) and I have enjoyed the camaraderie that this forum used to display. Lately, however, the emphasis has changed quite significantly, and while I appreciate that there have been some elements which required restraint, the overall complexion of the forum has shifted to such a degree that it is now a matter of some complexity as to what is "permitted" and what is not.
That, I submit, is not where we should be going, and while I applaud your efforts in attempting to achieve perfection, this will always be an internet forum, with all that such a platform entails, and it is not just I who will become disaffected with the regime.
I am always ready to take a joke, but being branded a lunatic, or mental, notwithstanding the "smileys" is just an example of the dictatorial direction you now envisage.
I assure you I take no offence from your remarks which I am confident were made in a jocular and conciliatory manner, but you cannot wear multiple hats...I respectfully suggest you choose the one which fits, and stick with it.
You run a good, no...great, forum.
Tell folks off when they genuinely transgress.
Cut some slack too.
You told me not to get involved in a thread, but for no reason, except
"It's not Emmerdale".
Inconsistency will breed disaffection, and while I see clearly what you wish to achieve, that level of "perfection" is unattainable, in my humble opinion.

Trust me mate, nobody is more clear than myself. :)

You wont always get a reason, if I say don't do it. Either trust me and don't do it. Or do it, and risk getting banned. Either way I don't mind. It's the same button clicking time.

But when I give you a reason, it might come across as if I want a chat or something and I want your reply or input, and I never ever will, unless I ask.

So just assume I know what I'm doing, and you don't have facts you need to make an informed opinion. And we'll all get along just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why can't I post to the DIY forum? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock