Discuss Why does GFI pop when its engaged on daisy chain? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, trying to install a daisy chain of outlets & switches beginning the line with GFI. Whenever the gfi is engaged it pops the breaker.
The gfi has a 'line in' @ the bottom as specified in the instructions in the box and the top is 'load out'. The next outlet is connected from the load out of the previous ( gfi) then it goes into the bottom which is line in etc...
Set up is: GFI, outlet > outlet 1 > outlet 2 > outlet 3 > dual switches.
So the dual switches are the last on the line.
Need help finding out why breaker trips when GFI is engaged.
Any help is upmost appreciated.
I want to ask you one question, while you hooked all the receptacles and switches from the first GFCI which does have a line in and a line out. Most I have dealt with the line in is at the top if you look at it with the ground hole on the bottom and are they any chance that you hooked it up wrong. You have 2 cables so the power coming in goes on the line side but if you don’t use the corresponding neutral in the same cable it will trip all the time. Forget the instructions, look on the back of the GFCI receptacle and it plainly tells line and load

I want to ask you one question, while you hooked all the receptacles and switches from the first GFCI which does have a line in and a line out. Most I have dealt with the line in is at the top if you look at it with the ground hole on the bottom and are they any chance that you hooked it up wrong. You have 2 cables so the power coming in goes on the line side but if you don’t use the corresponding neutral in the same cable it will trip all the time. Forget the instructions, look on the back of the GFCI receptacle and it plainly tells line and load

Hi, trying to install a daisy chain of outlets & switches beginning the line with GFI. Whenever the gfi is engaged it pops the breaker.
The gfi has a 'line in' @ the bottom as specified in the instructions in the box and the top is 'load out'. The next outlet is connected from the load out of the previous ( gfi) then it goes into the bottom which is line in etc...
Set up is: GFI, outlet > outlet 1 > outlet 2 > outlet 3 > dual switches.
So the dual switches are the last on the line.
Need help finding out why breaker trips when GFI is engaged.
Any help is upmost appreciated.
Also that is some of the ugliest work especially the grounds I have ever seen. We do have a box calculation in the NEC

Thank you sir, yes all are what you mentioned. It has 4 spots for wires.
Do you happen to know what wire nut we need for 6. 12 gauge wires?

Thank you sir, yes all are what you mentioned. It has 4 spots for wires.
Do you happen to know what wire nut we need for 6. 12 gauge wires?
Got another question..... On an afci breaker if there was a gap between wires that are twisted in a wire nut meaning if they are not tight enough together and create a spark inside the wire nut would it trip the breaker?
You are not going to find a wire nut for 6 #12 wires. You have way to many wires in your boxes. That is a code violation

You are not going to find a wire nut for 6 #12 wires. You have way to many wires in your boxes. That is a code violation
Thank you sir! Thats what we were wondering when we tried to find them online. Looks like we are going to have to re-do the box. What would you do to correct that? Many thanks for your info.

Thank you sir! Thats what we were wondering when we tried to find them online. Looks like we are going to have to re-do the box. What would you do to correct that? Many thanks for your info.
I really don’t know but it sounds like you have 6 cables in one box and it’s the 6 neutrals that you are trying to tie together. Why so many wires

Reactions: DPG
I really don’t know but it sounds like you have 6 cables in one box and it’s the 6 neutrals that you are trying to tie together. Why so many wires
If you daisy chained them together you should have 1 cable in and 1 cable out and not to sure about the switches you mentioned

Well for one, code is we have to have an outlet every 6 feet. Looks like we are going to have to split it all up?

Your welcome and I wish you all the best on your project
Thank you, thank you all so much for your quick responses. Once we figure it out we'll let you know what we found and what we had to change. We think its too many wires into one box.
We'll check back here.....

Take Megawatt's advice and get an electrician in. Nothing wrong in admitting something is beyond your limits. Not worth risking the safety of your family.

Reply to Why does GFI pop when its engaged on daisy chain? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock