Discuss Why does GFI pop when its engaged on daisy chain? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, trying to install a daisy chain of outlets & switches beginning the line with GFI. Whenever the gfi is engaged it pops the breaker.
The gfi has a 'line in' @ the bottom as specified in the instructions in the box and the top is 'load out'. The next outlet is connected from the load out of the previous ( gfi) then it goes into the bottom which is line in etc...
Set up is: GFI, outlet > outlet 1 > outlet 2 > outlet 3 > dual switches.
So the dual switches are the last on the line.
Need help finding out why breaker trips when GFI is engaged.
Any help is upmost appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_130844468.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210108_130849608.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210108_130931646.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210108_130938168.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210108_131930367.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210108_130755174.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210108_132003856.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 19
If the breaker is tripping you are likely to have created a dead short between hot/ground or hot/neutral. Looking at your wiring this doesn't surprise me, check there is no damage to the cables where they pass unprotected through the back boxes.

Hi, trying to install a daisy chain of outlets & switches beginning the line with GFI. Whenever the gfi is engaged it pops the breaker.
The gfi has a 'line in' @ the bottom as specified in the instructions in the box and the top is 'load out'. The next outlet is connected from the load out of the previous ( gfi) then it goes into the bottom which is line in etc...
Set up is: GFI, outlet > outlet 1 > outlet 2 > outlet 3 > dual switches.
So the dual switches are the last on the line.
Need help finding out why breaker trips when GFI is engaged.
Any help is upmost appreciated.
If the breaker is tripping you are likely to have created a dead short between hot/ground or hot/neutral. Looking at your wiring this doesn't surprise me, check there is no damage to the cables where they pass unprotected through the back boxes.
I apologise for the incomplete picture but it is protected by the outer coating which doesnt show in the picture.
Thanks we will look at everything again. ?

Hi thanks, could you please clarify?

Sorry, auto correct - it should have said 'a right mess'. Is that normal to just leave them bare and just twist them together? Certainly wouldn't pass UK regs.

I gotcha. Yeah it may not look pretty but thats the old way of doing things to save space in the box. By the time i shove the gfi in there's not enough room for a gray wire nut esp with 12 gage wire.
Still trying to find the source for the trip.

I think @Megawatt our correspondent in the States will know more about grounding connections than us over the pond.

I would start with checking for continuity between earth and any hot wires.
Power off first

So is this a afci which is tripping.

As long as the wires are sound in their connections it shouldn't trip a afci especially if the circuit has no current flowing to create an arc, recheck all connections.

Got another question... What size color/ size wire for 6 wires to keep from arching out. We think that was the problem.
Does anyone know the answer? Is there a way to connect all 6 12g wires together in a wire nut ? Options?
Can't seem to find a wire nut to handle 6 12 gauge.

Reply to Why does GFI pop when its engaged on daisy chain? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net