Discuss Add timer to DB to control geyser in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for checking out my thread.

The tenant renting my apartment has complained about high electricity usage.
I offered we add a timer to control the geyser instead of him manually handling when it goes on as he's not home a lot of the time.

Please help me understand how the configuration actually works after checking the pic below.
An electrician previously explained to me that the circuit breaker labeled "Geyser" actually switches the relay on/off instead of the high current going directly through the breaker. After quite a bit of struggle finding documentation on the "LSR-116" I found it's called a Load Shed Relay.
What I still don't get is why there are two signal wires going into it at the top-rear. I'm guessing the other wire is for the on/off switch located above the stove itself.

(Continuing after ~30 minutes of research/google)
I noticed there seems to be a 3rd wire(white) going to the neutral busbar.

Lastly, I'd like to install a timer similar to this Digital Programmable Timer - https://www.major-tech.com/product/digital-programmable-timer/
Would I be correct if I installed the timer between the bottom of the Geyser breaker and the top of the relay?

DB1.jpeg

TL;DR
Confusing wiring, where is best to add a timer to control geyser automatically?
Going by your labelling of the breakers, the load shedding relay (bi-metal thermal switch!) seems to interrupt power to the stove when activated, e.g. when the geyser is switched on (or maybe just when the geyser is consuming continuous current - do you know what the current/power/voltage of the geyser is - I see you are in SA, I'm only au fait with UK!!)

The relay is presumably there to reduce peak power demand when multiple high loads are switched on at the same time. It seems to be wired to sacrifice the stove in favour of the geyser if I have understood correctly. Do you know if that happens?

I'm not sure your suggestion of putting a timer in the thin red wire will actually turn the geyser on - but it might turn the stove off!
Can you confirm if the fat red cable exiting bottom right goes to the stove?

Last edited:
Going by your labelling of the breakers, the load shedding relay (bi-metal thermal switch!) seems to interrupt power to the stove when activated, e.g. when the geyser is switched on (or maybe just when the geyser is consuming continuous current - do you know what the current/power/voltage of the geyser is - I see you are in SA, I'm only au fait with UK!!)

The relay is presumably there to reduce peak power demand when multiple high loads are switched on at the same time. It seems to be wired to sacrifice the stove in favour of the geyser if I have understood correctly. Do you know if that happens?

I'm not sure your suggestion of putting a timer in the thin red wire will actually turn the geyser on - but it might turn the stove off!
Can you confirm if the fat red cable exiting bottom right goes to the stove?
Thank you for your response and interest in helping out on this one.

The geyser is rated at 3kW and runs at 220V.

To answer the rest of the questions I'll have to actually go and test, which I'll gladly do.
Unfortunately that will take a while as my tenant is a busy guy. I'll see if I can pressure him and get in there by mid November.

Just to clarify, I am thinking of installing the timer in line after the breaker labelled "Geyser". Reason this makes sense to me is because when closing that breaker the geyser heats up. I can confirm this with how much quicker the LED flashes on that relay when switching the geyser's breaker on after the water has cooled a while.

Reply to Add timer to DB to control geyser in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net