Discuss Several Lightbulbs Have Dimmed and Gone Out on the Same Circuit Breaker! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Summary (TL;DR)

Several lightbulbs in my home supplied by one circuit breaker dim over time and go out in about a year. Right now, the ceiling light in my living room won't turn on at all. It will turn on, go dim for 1-10 seconds, and then shut off completely. There are a host of other electrical issues in the other rooms supplied by the same breaker.

Details

I'm an idiot. 🤡 For the longest time, I thought it was the lightbulbs or the fixtures. Maybe, it is. ¯\(ツ)/¯ Here are the details.
  • The single circuit breaker (15 amps) supplies power to 2 small bedrooms, a small bathroom, a mini-hallway, and a small living room. (I live in a very small house. 😃)
  • The house was built in about 1950. I don’t know when the main panel was replaced but we purchased our home about 15 years ago.
  • The circuit breakers in my home have rarely tripped. The last time was years ago.
  • PSE&G has been doing work in my neighborhood for the past few years. I would get emails stating that they had done work. But, the power in my home turns off periodically. Maybe, once every 1-3 months?
Living Room - MAJOR ISSUE!
  • The ceiling fixture contains 2 LED lightbulbs. I replaced it a few months ago, thinking the light fixture was the problem. A few weeks ago, the LED lightbulbs were already very dim after a few months.
  • Right now, the lights won’t remain on. I will turn it off and on. The light will momentarily turn on for 1-10 seconds, dim to a very low light, and then turn off completely.
Bathroom
  • LED lightbulbs dim relatively quickly in about a year or two and eventually go out.
  • The light switch has a night light that is constantly flickering. Occasionally, the lights won’t turn on. I have to turn it off and on a few times. This happens rarely though.

Bedroom 1.
  • One of the power outlets had an issue. Again, I can’t remember too many details because it was years ago. At the time, I tried to replace the outlet because it burned something out. I think I discovered that the wires were crossed. The white wire was actually “hot” and the white wire was “neutral”. That shocked me so I just covered the receptacle and it hasn’t been used since.
Bedroom 2.
  • In the past, while unplugging a phone charger, sparks would appear.

I hope I gave you enough details to figure this out!

💭 So, can anyone make an educated guess on what’s going on?

💭 Should I check the voltage and amp at an outlet with a multimeter?

💭 Is the circuit breaker supplying too much power to that part of the house?

💭 Should I replace the circuit breaker?

💭 What is the likelihood that the electricity company caused this?

Last edited:

Reply to Several Lightbulbs Have Dimmed and Gone Out on the Same Circuit Breaker! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net