Discuss Replace wire or breaker on septic pump? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DougHop

DIY
Reaction score
After 24 years my septic lift station pump and high water alarm needs to be replaced. It was tripping the breaker and the alarm was no longer working. When I pulled the wires out of the alarm, which serves as a junction box for the pump, pump float switch, and alarm float switch everything was corroded and possibly charred. How it was still functioning as a junction is a mystery. I noticed the power source was a 14/2 direct burial romex in conduit and I know my breaker is a 20 amp.
So my electricians ran 12/2 to a junction just outside the house fed with a 20 amp breaker. Then the septic installer ran 14/2 wire 150' buried in conduit to the lift station. My question is should I just replace the breaker with a 15A and leave the 14/2 wire. Or should I replace the 14/2 romex with 12/2 thhn? Obviously installing a 15A breaker is easier, if I knew I wouldn't run into any problems pulling the new 12ga wire with a 20A breaker is better. My new pump is a 1/2 hp that draws 22.5A on start up and 12A continuously. The old pump was similar and despite the 14ga wire on a 20A circuit it lasted a long 24 years.

If the original design lasted 25years and apparently failed due to corrosion
I would replace it with the same cables and better sealed terminal boxes.

If the original design lasted 25years and apparently failed due to corrosion
I would replace it with the same cables and better sealed terminal boxes.
I went out and played around with it today to see if I could even pull the old wire out and it wouldn't budge an inch. I noticed it's in 1/2" conduit at the house and 3/4" at the tank, so I'm guessing that they used conduit to turn up vertically and layed the direct burial wire with the plumbing pipe. So now the question is should I leave the 20A breaker on a circuit with the 14/2 wire or swap out the 20 for a 15A? The 14/2 burial wire starts at a junction box on the back of the house and goes 120' to the lift station tank.

I went out and played around with it today to see if I could even pull the old wire out and it wouldn't budge an inch. I noticed it's in 1/2" conduit at the house and 3/4" at the tank, so I'm guessing that they used conduit to turn up vertically and layed the direct burial wire with the plumbing pipe. So now the question is should I leave the 20A breaker on a circuit with the 14/2 wire or swap out the 20 for a 15A? The 14/2 burial wire starts at a junction box on the back of the house and goes 120' to the lift station tank.
After 24 years my septic lift station pump and high water alarm needs to be replaced. It was tripping the breaker and the alarm was no longer working. When I pulled the wires out of the alarm, which serves as a junction box for the pump, pump float switch, and alarm float switch everything was corroded and possibly charred. How it was still functioning as a junction is a mystery. I noticed the power source was a 14/2 direct burial romex in conduit and I know my breaker is a 20 amp.
So my electricians ran 12/2 to a junction just outside the house fed with a 20 amp breaker. Then the septic installer ran 14/2 wire 150' buried in conduit to the lift station. My question is should I just replace the breaker with a 15A and leave the 14/2 wire. Or should I replace the 14/2 romex with 12/2 thhn? Obviously installing a 15A breaker is easier, if I knew I wouldn't run into any problems pulling the new 12ga wire with a 20A breaker is better. My new pump is a 1/2 hp that draws 22.5A on start up and 12A continuously. The old pump was similar and despite the 14ga wire on a 20A circuit it lasted a long 24 years.
if the pump is pulling 12 amps continuously then you need to replace the 20 amp breaker to a 15 amp breaker since it has 14/2 wire. It might Tripp on start up since it maxes out at 22 amps. My suggestion is to try and install a 20 amp circuit using 12/2 wire and use an approved junction box to keep moisture out of the box.

if the pump is pulling 12 amps continuously then you need to replace the 20 amp breaker to a 15 amp breaker since it has 14/2 wire. It might Tripp on start up since it maxes out at 22 amps. My suggestion is to try and install a 20 amp circuit using 12/2 wire and use an approved junction box to keep moisture out of the box.
Thanks, I know running a new 12/2 is what I would like to do. After discovering the existing 14/2 isn't in conduit all the way I would have dig a new trench 50' through a maze of irrigation and buried gutter drain pipes then another 70' through the woods. I am going to swap out the breaker and keep my fingers crossed that the pump works on 15A. The junction box that was in bad shape is actually the outside alarm box that is supposed to be weatherproof. I am waiting for the new similar box to arrive before installing the new pump.

Thanks, I know running a new 12/2 is what I would like to do. After discovering the existing 14/2 isn't in conduit all the way I would have dig a new trench 50' through a maze of irrigation and buried gutter drain pipes then another 70' through the woods. I am going to swap out the breaker and keep my fingers crossed that the pump works on 15A. The junction box that was in bad shape is actually the outside alarm box that is supposed to be weatherproof. I am waiting for the new similar box to arrive before installing the new pump.
Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum

Reply to Replace wire or breaker on septic pump? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net