Discuss How to Wire a Asymmetric Cycler Timer Relay (Like GEYA GRT8-S1) to replace Ice Machine Timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

SlowPoke

DIY
Reaction score
I am trying to replace a mechanical switch from an OLD ice machine with an electronic timer. The existing switch has only 3 wires, a Black Power Wire, Blue Normally Open and Orange Normally Closed. The existing timer is activated by a capillary tube attached to the freezing tray. When power is turned on, the Orange Normally Closed wire is active and the compressor/water pump run. When the capillary tube senses a cold enough temperature it activates the switch to change to the normally open Blue wire which then reverses the compressor and opens water intake for about 2 minutes. The it switches back and runs another cycle. There are only 3 wires and the capillary tube that run to the current switch.

The new switch has top input connections A1, S and A2. the Bottom has 15, 16 and 17. I added a leg to the black power wire and connected it to A1 and 15. The I connected the Orange Normally Closed to 16 and Blue Normally Closed to 17. But switch has no apparent power when I turn the machine on. The compressor and pump run but no green light and no change to the harvest mode. I assume that is because something needs to be hooked to A2 - but what ? Do I add another leg to the black wire and connect it to A1, A2 and 15 ? Again there are no other wires.

Or do I perhaps need to splice in and run power from the transformer (black and white wires) to A1 and A2 to just power the switch and then hook the black wire above into 15 only......

Here is a link to the new Switch.

This is the wiring diagram of the machine - the EVAP THERMO is what I am replacingDiagram.jpg.

Last edited:
Got it figured out. Spliced into neutral running to transformer. Went ahead and cut a hole in front panel to allow adjustment to make ice. When set a piece of black tape and will be virtually impossible to see the hole.
310F686D-E907-47EC-88BC-A17726A1BCAE.jpeg

Last edited:

Reply to How to Wire a Asymmetric Cycler Timer Relay (Like GEYA GRT8-S1) to replace Ice Machine Timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net