• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Help with hall wiring in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I moved into my new flat and have had to decorate and repair so much, it had a tube light fixture in the kitchen (open plan living room and kitchen) fitted a ceiling rose no issue and have changed the 3 light switches to brushed stainless steel no issue I have changed all the plug sockets to match no issue. Just finished the hall decorating so gone to do the same and like a numpty before I started to take it apart I didnt take a picture and cannot get both switches to work. 1st switch is a single switch which controls the light in the hall second switch is 2 gang and controls the hall and bathroom light I'll post pictures strangely I can only find 1 live wire!! Please can someone help I'm close to rubbing my eyes on a pebble dashed wall!! Below is the wiring the 4 wires is for the 2 gang switch and the 3 wire for the normal switch and at the bottom are the switches I want to replace the originals with but cant even get the original switches to work properly what do I do? Oh the power is switched off to the light switches btw. I know once someone says it I'll be kicking myself I have mental healt problems and took this on whilst I can't concentrate properly

Attachments

• Help with hall wiring 20200523_202503 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_202503.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Help with hall wiring 20200523_202503 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_202503.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Help with hall wiring 20200523_201918 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_201918.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Help with hall wiring 20200523_202312 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_202312.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Help with hall wiring 20200523_201936 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_201936.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Help with hall wiring 20200523_202005 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_202005.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Help with hall wiring 20200523_202025 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200523_202025.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
Unfortunately there are so many different ways for lights to be wired it would be a stab in the dark for any of us to advise.
Maybe one of the members is local to you?

for clarity. Can you confirm the 2 gang switch controls bathroom and hall, the 1 gang just the hall? The hall light controlled at 2 switches.

Picture number 3 doesn’t look right to me - it looks like the live link feed for the second light so should be linked from one switch to the other and permanent live goes into one of those so your supply live can feed both switches. All the cables should be marked as live too as they will all be live feeds or switched lives or strappers

Unfortunately there are so many different ways for lights to be wired it would be a stab in the dark for any of us to advise.
Maybe one of the members is local to you?

for clarity. Can you confirm the 2 gang switch controls bathroom and hall, the 1 gang just the hall? The hall light controlled at 2 switches.
Yes The hall as a 1 gang outside the living room door and the 2 gang is at the front door which controls the bathroom light and kitchen. I asked my grandad to come have a look for me but he won't I know its something so simple I just can't focus enough at the moment. I just can't believe I didnt take a picture I always take a picture ?‍♂️
[automerge]1590310386[/automerge]
Yes The hall as a 1 gang outside the living room door and the 2 gang is at the front door which controls the bathroom light and bathroom. I asked my grandad to come have a look for me but he won't I know its something so simple I just can't focus enough at the moment. I just can't believe I didnt take a picture I always take a picture ?‍♂️
[automerge]1590310498[/automerge]
Picture number 3 doesn’t look right to me - it looks like the live link feed for the second light so should be linked from one switch to the other and permanent live goes into one of those so your supply live can feed both switches. All the cables should be marked as live too as they will all be live feeds or switched lives or strappers
That light switch I didn't touch that bridge so that's where it was
[automerge]1590310581[/automerge]
Yes The hall as a 1 gang outside the living room door and the 2 gang is at the front door which controls the bathroom light and kitchen. I asked my grandad to come have a look for me but he won't I know its something so simple I just can't focus enough at the moment. I just can't believe I didnt take a picture I always take a picture ?‍♂️
[automerge]1590310386[/automerge]

[automerge]1590310498[/automerge]

That light switch I didn't touch that bridge so that's where it was also the other black wire did have red tape on its fallen off got some coming as its regulatory to have the switched live marked

It is pretty hard without being able to test things!

I suspect the one with 2*red and 1*black you will find that one red/black pair is a T&E running to the double switch, and they would go to the L1/L2 terminals of one half of the double switch, and to the L1/L2 of the single switch.

On the double switch the common of both halves there ought to have the red link wire and go to your "permanent live" red.

That would leave the remaining black (maybe "bathroom switched live") of the double switch to go to L1 (probably) of the other switch. Or L2 if it works upside-down!

And the 3-wire set would have the lone red going to C (common) of the single switch.

But that is simply a guess!

Ah.. ok... your original post said both switch positions controlled the hall, which i assumed meant it was a 2 way switch.

If all the switches are normal 1 way.... disregard the terminals marked as 2 way... you dont need them.

That just leaves you with Commons (for the lives) and 1way terminals... for the switch wires.

The 2 gang switch is essentially 2 separate switches, so will need a link between the 2 commons... Where the link is just now doesnt make sense.

Ah.. ok... your original post said both switch positions controlled the hall, which i assumed meant it was a 2 way switch.

If all the switches are normal 1 way.... disregard the terminals marked as 2 way... you dont need them.

That just leaves you with Commons (for the lives) and 1way terminals... for the switch wires.

The 2 gang switch is essentially 2 separate switches, so will need a link between the 2 commons... Where the link is just now doesnt make sense.
I know that's what I thought the link should go to the other common with the single permanent live going in the common point
[automerge]1590312719[/automerge]
As above is that where the link was in the original setup or have you put that there??
No the link is untouched

i could sort you that in under 1 hour. butPreston is a tad far for me. maybe a forum member is closer and can help.

if you look at the other 2 way switch that uou've not touched??? see how the cable/s is/are connected. then the other end of the cable/s should match up the same.

if you look at the other 2 way switch that uou've not touched??? see how the cable/s is/are connected. then the other end of the cable/s should match up the same.
There isn't another 2 way I didn't touch oh the picture artistically drew is the new switches the old white I took off the wall and that is where the link is I just can't understand why the link would go from com to 3 so I'm working the 2gang as 2 separate switches which if I'm right it should work yes?

Regarding your new drawing....No.... Without getting too close to a "step by step" instructions which is frowned upon....

Ignore the 2ways. you don't need them.

Can you remember how the lights were connected? If it was 3plate, or loop in... there seems to be an extra red at the single switch.?

The commons will need the perm live into them.... the switch wires coming out of the one ways...
You could possibly work out the single gang switch no problem.

I think its been mentioned before, but all you have here is lives and switched lives... there's no neutral that could cause a short circuit... so might be a case of trial and error until you get the right configuration. (assuming the lights have been reconnected properly)

Another thought here.... Are all the lights on the same circuit? or have you maybe got 2 feeds into one switch box, which could be dangerous if the 2 circuits become interconnected

and this works the way you want it to?

Im worried where the reds into 2way are going

Also, you need to link the metal faceplates to the back boxes with a little green/yellow to earth them.
It works just as before both hall switches independently on and off and bathroom on the other switch in the 2 gang working also the switch plates already have the earth in there should of shown that really
[automerge]1590317544[/automerge]
It works just as before both hall switches independently on and off and bathroom on the other switch in the 2 gang working also the switch plates already have the earth in there should of shown that really
Also the 2 reds are the link in COM as they are the perm live all lights in the flat work and I haven't electrocuted myself so win win haha I've only got 2 switches to change now and they are simple that one just threw me off

Help with hall wiring {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Bit of a rough drawing but this is how it should be wired,ensure all the wires are identified as live using red tape and the single hallway switch should have the com terminal going directly to the light. The 1 way wire should terminate on the second single switch to that 1 way wire - the same for the 2 way terminal as in the drawing.
The com terminals in the double switch should link Together and the permanent live also terminates into one of these.
As mentioned, ensure the switches are earthed to the back box which should be earthed already and that this wire is identified with green and yellow sleeve or tape

Attachments

• Help with hall wiring image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 43
Help with hall wiring {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Bit of a rough drawing but this is how it should be wired,ensure all the wires are identified as live using red tape and the single hallway switch should have the com terminal going directly to the light. The 1 way wire should terminate on the second single switch to that 1 way wire - the same for the 2 way terminal as in the drawing.
The com terminals in the double switch should link Together and the permanent live also terminates into one of these.
As mentioned, ensure the switches are earthed to the back box which should be earthed already and that this wire is identified with green and yellow sleeve or tape
Yeah this is what I've done just couldn't understand that link it was in the wrong place all together but it's all neat and tidy and now marked with the correct tape and the earths were fine didnt need to touch them

Reply to Help with hall wiring in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back