Discuss Wiring a hallway two way switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

brumDIY

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I was having some work done as I've moved into a new house in Feb. My electrician did all the wiring for a new partition in the front room but has been detained in the EU because of the 2 week isolation period. I've managed to wire up the outlets but have no clue what's going on with this two way switch or how to wire it up - any ideas?

Pic of wiring:

hallway.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you done those connections, you have earths connected to what appear to be lives.

Reactions: DPG
No don't touch it, from a distance it is impossible to say how it should be connected. Is it actually live?

Reactions: DPG
If that is live the electrician should never have left it like that. Hopefully only one connector is live and the one with the earth connected is dead.

Sorry, theres too many configurations of wires at switches for any of us to guess what is going on here.

A couple of things though do concern me and many others, i bet....

Brown wire (and one of the reds i see) should not have excess copper showing, even if it is dead.

Blue wire thats in the white T&E with that brown shouldn't be cut back like that. Left long, and into a single connector.

cpc's should have individual sleeving on them, not doubled up into one.

And if any of that is live, it should be behind a blank plate or an unconnected switch or something.

I'm surprised the sparky did that.

Reply to Wiring a hallway two way switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net