Discuss Wiring for Hot tub in garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tonywevans

[FONT=&quot]I've been asked to wire up some equipment for use with a hot tub located in a garden and I've been checking through Section 702 of BS7671.

The equipment includes a blower, pump and in-line water heater, all of which have been purchased separately by the customer.

Everything seems fairly straightforward to comply with Section 702 except for 702.55.4 (ii) where the equipment needs to be located inside a lockable insulating enclosure and "The opening of the hatch (or door) shall disconnect all live conductors"

I would very much welcome any advice on how I can meet this requirement. Are there standard type enclosures available that provides for disconnection of all live conductors when the hatch or door is opened ?[/FONT]

Thanks for the suggestion telectrix. Could be useful. I was hoping somebody might supply a range of these switches already mounted inside an insulated enclosure.

here you go:

download (5).jpg

I've never seen a hot tub or spa that haven't included a heater and blower motor, That's what they are all about surely?? Unless of course it's second hand and both those units had gone belly up and these are the replacements?? But the controls enclosure should already be in place, just a case of connecting the new /replacements into it!!....

Are we talking about the internal workings of the tub itself being isolated by an isolator mounted on the tub?

Every hot tub I've seen usually just has a side access panel screwed on and isolation is carried out at a suitably IP rated isolator for the final circuit mounted usually at least 2m away from the side of the tub
Just done one cost 6k with pop up jets led lighting, mp3/speakers and a drinks chiller built in ......... he couldn't afford the waterproof pop up 42 inch tv version!

In this situation the customer has purchased all the components separately - pool, pump, blower, heater and has rigged it up himself. He now recognizes this as unsatisfactory and wants it all wired up to comply with BS7671.
I'm now thinking that he should have bought a tub that already had everything already built in. This may well have been a false economy with high risk.

In this situation the customer has purchased all the components separately - pool, pump, blower, heater and has rigged it up himself. He now recognizes this as unsatisfactory and wants it all wired up to comply with BS7671.
I'm now thinking that he should have bought a tub that already had everything already built in. This may well have been a false economy with high risk.

There is no ''Maybe'' about it, i didn't even know that manufacturers sold the tub itself separately, let alone the whole thing in kit form!! Bloody madness, his best bet now, is to have the manufacturers UK agents come and build it for him. I'm thinking there may well be other statutory standards that will have to be complied with apart from BS7671!!

Reply to Wiring for Hot tub in garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net