Discuss Wiring in a Cooker (Don't Groan) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Santa

-
Reaction score
I am NOT an electrician, and have no intention of doing this myself.

Some months ago, while the floorboards were up for some plumbing, I ran a cable (connected to nothing) from near the main board in the garage, through holes in the joists under the floorboards to the point directly above where I want to fit my new electric cooker. I can't remember the dimensions of the cable, but it's pretty heavy stuff, and what the electrician in the shop where I bought it told me I needed.

My problem is that there is no convenient space adjacent to the cooker housing to put an external socket. There's a hob in the work surface on one side, and to copper pipes belonging to the central heating on the other.

Any suggestions?

Hi Santa, it's a bit early to be asking for help isn't it lol Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

If you post up your location I'm sure a member would quite happily pop around to view the situation and advise on what can be done.

Please remember that this is a notifiable job so make sure that you use either a Part P registered electrician or go through the Local Authority Building Control.

Regards

1SC

"Pretty heavy stuff" doesn't really cut it mate neither does "it's what the electrician in the shop told me I needed"
If this guy was an electrician worth his salt he would have asked a few questions to determine what you needed. The advice of my learned friend 1shortcircuit is the best you can get.

He very well may want to see where the cable is run if it is suitable, you could very well be lifting boards back up.

If you are not finishing installing this circuit yourself then presumably you are going to employ a qualified, approved electrician to do so. He should be able to give you all the advice you need.
Without seeing the job or having some more specific information I don't think anyone here will be able to advise you. (and why would you need advise if you are employing a compentant electrican to finish the job?)
Strima is correct, even if the cable size is suitable then an electrician may not be willing to issue certificates for the job as they do not know if the cable has been run in accordance with the appropriate regulations.
Also cooker's don't normally run from 'sockets' unless they are piddly little 3kW things which you may as well run from the hob supply.

Please remember that this is a notifiable job so make sure that you use either a Part P registered electrician or go through the Local Authority Building Control.
Thanks - I didn't know that.

"Pretty heavy stuff" doesn't really cut it mate neither does "it's what the electrician in the shop told me I needed"
If this guy was an electrician worth his salt he would have asked a few questions to determine what you needed. The advice of my learned friend 1shortcircuit is the best you can get.
He asked several questions and advised me about the cable run.

[Also cooker's don't normally run from 'sockets' unless they are piddly little 3kW things which you may as well run from the hob supply./QUOTE]
By 'socket' I mean a box on the wall which I understand has to be visible???

This will be a built-in double oven - are any of then over 3kw?

I havn't ordered it yet - I want to know if I can screw my floorboards down and re-lay the carpets. Tonkatoy referred to 'piddly little 3kW things' - this is a domestic oven.

You can't fix the boards down yet mate, the spark you employ to finish this will want to see the cable and how/where it's been ran.
A domestic oven can be a lot more than 3kw, what Tonkatoy was referring to was that below a certain output an oven can be supplied via a plug top. I suspect your's may be too big a load for that.
That said there is an electrical concept known as diversity which in a nutshell assumes that not all appliances will be "on", particularly your cooker will no doubt have a grill function but it will be bar nigh impossible for the ovens and grills to be on at the same time.
Pick your oven then call a spark, post up your location. I'll bet we have a member near you

A double oven will require a dedicated circuit with the appropriate sized cable. (probably 6mm but could be more or less depending on route taken/load etc. You were probably sold 6mm though). The switch does not have to be on the wall, in an adjacent cupboard will do as long as it is easily accessible.
When finished the job will have to be notified by a registered electrician (either Nappit, ELECSA or niceic) or a non reg electrician could do it with the appropriate extortionate fees paid to the local council building control.
Now I've broken my own rule of giving advice to non electricians I really hope you are not going ahead anyway and doing it yourself.
I'll cry else. ;0)

Last question so I know what's expected:

The cable (it is 6mm twin and earth btw) will run down from the celing behind the oven, inside the wooden housing. Will it need to be in conduit?

Let your spark decide that one Santa. There may be a necessity for it there may not, it's difficult when you're not there looking at it deciding how to do it

Reply to Wiring in a Cooker (Don't Groan) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock