Discuss Wiring slightly out of zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Have been called to what could have been a very bad situation.

Home owner has started decorating and come across half a nail stuck in wall. It had been there for years and had penetrated cables going to a socket which were running slightly out of correct zoning.

I’ve recommended chasing the wall correctly and rerouting cables.

They’ve asked if there is an option which would cause less damage. In which case if I sunk a single box to house the repair with a blanking plate would this be acceptable. It would mean the junction is accessible and would bring the cables within the new zone.

I’d rather do the former but want to be flexible for customer whilst still sticking within regs.

Thanks.

Aswell as that is the circuit in question is not RCD protected. I’ve reconnended a board upgrade but would swapping out the breaker for an RCBO be a adequate temporary solution whilst they decide?

I think the owner was very lucky considering

Thanks.

Aswell as that is the circuit in question is not RCD protected. I’ve reconnended a board upgrade but would swapping out the breaker for an RCBO be a adequate temporary solution whilst they decide?

I think the owner was very lucky considering
Why does it need a board change? Will an RCBO fit in the existing board? And if it does, rather than a board change why not fit RCBO's where necessary?

They are doing a lot of renovations and were asking my thoughts on their current installation. It’s an old plastic cased board.

I suggested a modern metal board would be nice but can make current board more protected.

I’ll go with some RCBO’s initially

Sparks appear to be the only ones aware of such zones, or so it would seem.
Slightly off topic - having put a large hole through a wall to run my cabling back to the new board in a re-furb, I was a bit peed off to find on my return the plumber has also used the same hole with his push fit pipes touching my cables.
As for building regs and the drilling joists, again, plumbers just seem to drill and slot wherever it suits them best.

Sparks appear to be the only ones aware of such zones, or so it would seem.
Slightly off topic - having put a large hole through a wall to run my cabling back to the new board in a re-furb, I was a bit peed off to find on my return the plumber has also used the same hole with his push fit pipes touching my cables.
As for building regs and the drilling joists, again, plumbers just seem to drill and slot wherever it suits them best.
I remember from my days doing new houses keeping in zones and seeing the plumber run their pipes to rads etc not in any line/zone to them.

No they don't
As far as zoning is concerned,until other trades and the general public are aware of their existence, its almost a complete waste of time as far as they are concerned
Its a good idea having zoning if only all were involved
That really surprises me,its such a simple thing to do,if they ain’t getting that right,pity the other bits & pieces.

The only 'zone' I'll never use is the horizontal one at high level where wall meets ceiling, I just think that's asking for trouble in the future.

The only 'zone' I'll never use is the horizontal one at high level where wall meets ceiling, I just think that's asking for trouble in the future.
had to do just that last week. moving a socket 12" across due to repositioning of hob. cut cables below ceiling then jointed new drops across just below ceiling then down to socket.

had to do just that last week. moving a socket 12" across due to repositioning of hob. cut cables below ceiling then jointed new drops across just below ceiling then down to socket.
Indeed. Sometimes there isn't any alternative to it. Had to use it last week - not because I wanted to - but with tiled floors etc. above that I was told definitely couldn't be lifted it was the only way out.

Indeed. Sometimes there isn't any alternative to it. Had to use it last week - not because I wanted to - but with tiled floors etc. above that I was told definitely couldn't be lifted it was the only way out.
should of fitted mini trunking to their tiles and ran it across the top, job jobbed ;) ruddy customers are not always right

Reply to Wiring slightly out of zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net