Discuss Wooden (laminate) underlay options in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. We have chosen the laminate flooring we want to put down in our living room. However, the difficult bit is choosing the underlay. We have a void under our living room floor so we get quite a draft. Our next door neighbour has suggest the foil back underlay and tape it all around the corners of the room to reduce the draft.

I've done some Google searches and looked at the usual places (screwfix,toolstation,b&q,wicked) however it's a mindfield. All offering different things.

Anyone had any experience with such products?

Looking for some advice. We have chosen the laminate flooring we want to put down in our living room. However, the difficult bit is choosing the underlay. We have a void under our living room floor so we get quite a draft. Our next door neighbour has suggest the foil back underlay and tape it all around the corners of the room to reduce the draft.

I've done some Google searches and looked at the usual places (screwfix,toolstation,b&q,wicked) however it's a mindfield. All offering different things.

Anyone had any experience with such products?
have you rang carpet right !

Just replaced 3 carpets here, black dust staining at the skirtings caused by dust blowing up from subfloor area. Couldn't ply the floors due to access needed below. Used foil-faced board beneath, and packed gaps under skirtings with bubble-wrap cut into strips and tamped home with screwdriver...and it works fine!
Whatever you do, do NOT try to fill the gaps with a can of pressured expanding foam!
(Don't ask...)

Rip up the floorboards and do it properly.

Hang on, laminate flooring, thought it would be engineered oak on here at least......

Yes it is but it's what we have. 30 packs have been ordered so just on the hunt for an appropriate underlay. Like I've said above, we are looking for the foil backed stuff and plan to take skirting off and tape it right to the edges. However, there's so many thicknesses and versions......

if you're taking skirting off, fit the laminate under skirting ( allows expansion without adding expansion strip). refit skirting after. or new skirtin in real tree wood, stained and varnished. not mdf rubbish.

if you're taking skirting off, fit the laminate under skirting ( allows expansion without adding expansion strip). refit skirting after. or new skirtin in real tree wood, stained and varnished. not mdf rubbish.

Yes this is the plan. However I'm still unsure in the foil underlay??

Are they all the same stuff??

Would the foil backed stuff create condensation in the void area underneath?

think you may be overthinking it. a bit of airflow is good. can't see much draught coming through interlocking laminate boards.

Are you removing the old floor boards as you normally lay the foil and board the area out then lay the laminate on top, don't forget to take in to account the doors if you raise the floor.

How old is the house as older houses need to "breathe" and a lot of pre 1930's houses don't have cavity walls and the leaky floors and rattly sash windows meant they breathed faster then Usain Bolt at the end of a race.

Currently have carpet so that will come up and we will be left with the original floor boards.

It's a 1930's house with no cavity.

The floorboards that are down are in good condition with no signs of damage, rot or moisture.

I was planning on just laying the foil backed underlay down and taping as close to the walls as I can. Skirting will come off so to allow expansion gap and skirting sits back over the laminate

Should lift the old floorboards up then lay down some decent ply boarding with the foil underneath and screwing in down properly.
Old floorboards creak and move, when you start just don't end up like me lol

Wooden (laminate) underlay options Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 11.39.44 - EletriciansForums.net

Although I fully appreciate doing it that way would be an ideal perfect approach, I don't have that luxury. Family still live in the house and I need to get the flooring down within a weekend. Plus money is a factor.

What would be the problem with laying the foil backed stuff down onto the floorboards? There would be enough gaps between the floorboards to allow them to breathe?

There shouldn't be an issue but maybe I am old school and stick to the rule, if your are going to do something then do it properly.

On recommendation of a carpenter I have used a good number of times I used the 5mm acoustic gold foil backed and taped (cheapest I could find at the times was online ukflooringdirect). I have a air-bricks for ventilation under the floor so also got a draft up through before hand, now much better. Not sure you are susposed to, but I used a staple gun to keep it in place then taped over them.

Reply to Wooden (laminate) underlay options in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock