Discuss Working at height? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a tripping RCD in a church. The faulty circuit supplies 5 x spotlights which are on the inside walls of the church. They are as high as trying to reach above a first story window in a house so perhaps 5m above ground. I will eliminate all other possible faulty parts (switches etc) before invesigating the lights but it's highly likely it will be the lights which look subject to damp and also perhaps birds nests.

I can foresee the church pews making it difficult to get a ladder in between them, although it might fit as it does not have a supporting bar at the bottom.

On rare occasions I get my big ladder out if I have to work at height (see pic below of my ladder) but it will only be for a short, simple jobs and I feel uncomfortable doing this in the church by myself.

Working at height? ladder - EletriciansForums.net

What would others do in this situation?
Would you have someone with you? How would that actually help?
Would you put up internal scaffolding? That would be a much larger cost.
Would you somehow secure the ladder?

Thanks all. :)

I have a tripping RCD in a church. The faulty circuit supplies 5 x spotlights which are on the inside walls of the church. They are as high as trying to reach above a first story window in a house so perhaps 5m above ground. I will eliminate all other possible faulty parts (switches etc) before invesigating the lights but it's highly likely it will be the lights which look subject to damp and also perhaps birds nests.

I can foresee the church pews making it difficult to get a ladder in between them, although it might fit.

On rare occasions I get my big ladder out if I have to work at height (see pic below of my ladder) but it will only be for a short, simple jobs and I feel uncomfortable doing this in the church by myself.

View attachment 56302

What type of cable has been used to wire these lights?

Either get ascending angels to help; else whether you fall or not will be gods devine judgement ?
There’s a HSE guidance on this. Should be a scaffold of some sort.

Scaffold for me mate, not worth the risk, it’s not expensive these days and the church can afford it......seriously though if you fall and injure yourself or worse it’s not just about you, kids etc.....I worked as a crane driver for years so not bothered by heights but I hate working of a ladder at that sort of height...

I can foresee the church pews making it difficult to get a ladder in between them, although it might fit as it does not have a supporting bar at the bottom.

View attachment 56302

If you suspect the lights are at fault then your price for rectifying should include the hiring of a suitable scaffold, to allow for inspection, if they won't pay, inform the client that you will need to isolate the circuit for safety's sake, shouldn't take them long to cough up for the price of the scaffolding

What type of cable has been used to wire these lights?
Twin and earth
They look good but I'm not sure it would fit inbetween the pews, unless there is something that can extend outwards as well as up and down?
Either get ascending angels to help; else whether you fall or not will be gods devine judgement ?
There’s a HSE guidance on this. Should be a scaffold of some sort.
Because I class you as an experienced electrician I was pleased when you replied and I thought 'I bet an acsending angel is the perfect piece of equipment, as Richy knows his stuff'. I then googled it :unamused::D
Scaffold for me mate, not worth the risk, it’s not expensive these days and the church can afford it......seriously though if you fall and injure yourself or worse it’s not just about you, kids etc.....I worked as a crane driver for years so not bothered by heights but I hate working of a ladder at that sort of height...
I've never used scaffold before so i'm very green with this. Is it just a case of contacting a scaffolding company and letting them do the rest or do I specify exactly what I want?

Twin and earth

They look good but I'm not sure it would fit inbetween the pews, unless there is something that can extend outwards as well as up and down?

Because I class you as an experienced electrician I was pleased when you replied and I thought 'I bet an acsending angel is the perfect piece of equipment, as Richy knows his stuff'. I then googled it :unamused::D

I've never used scaffold before so i'm very green with this. Is it just a case of contacting a scaffolding company and letting them do the rest or do I specify exactly what I want?

meet em at the job mate point where you need to get, ask em the price and leave the rest to them,any decent firm will sort relevant permits etc, in this instance I would stress that when you are finished they need to remove ASAP.....they are quite fond of leaving it with you untill they next job needs it, not cool in this instance obviously

Use a tower hire it's not very expensive. WaHR preclude any other method. You have to maintain contact with three points at all times on a ladder. You really need PASMA training to use a tower. You also need to tower tag it as well certifying it is safe. Cost up both. Hard hat working on a tower. Although saying that I know an electrician that gets a triple way ladder and just gets up there and does it. Very bad!!!
[automerge]1583939390[/automerge]
Oh and you need to secure the tower at every four metres height with a sleeve anchor and chain or something of the such like.

Twin and earth

Is it an old building? I bet T&E looks smashing in an old church, usually done in MICC for aesthetics. but if it's one of those new happy clappy type churches it won't be an issue,

Is it an old building? I bet T&E looks smashing in an old church, usually done in MICC for aesthetics. but if it's one of those new happy clappy type churches it won't be an issue,
That’s tickled me Pete! ?

Have a word with your local brandon tool hire I often get towers for work in the georgian properties in Bath.
Pay only £110 inc vat and delivery/collection for a one man mi-tower. for a 3 day rental
Can have a standard aluminium tower for around £30 a day.
Well worth the cost for safety purposes.
I had a stair tower few weeks ago cost me just £30 as above as I couldnt work on the upper stairs leaning over for the light with a 5 floor drop below

Use a tower hire it's not very expensive. WaHR preclude any other method. You have to maintain contact with three points at all times on a ladder. You really need PASMA training to use a tower. You also need to tower tag it as well certifying it is safe. Cost up both. Hard hat working on a tower. Although saying that I know an electrician that gets a triple way ladder and just gets up there and does it. Very bad!!!
[automerge]1583939390[/automerge]
Oh and you need to secure the tower at every four metres height with a sleeve anchor and chain or something of the such like.
Have a word with your local brandon tool hire I often get towers for work in the georgian properties in Bath.
Pay only £110 inc vat and delivery/collection for a one man mi-tower. for a 3 day rental
Can have a standard aluminium tower for around £30 a day.
Well worth the cost for safety purposes.
I had a stair tower few weeks ago cost me just £30 as above as I couldnt work on the upper stairs leaning over for the light with a 5 floor drop below
Would you be able to post a link of the type of tower that you’ve mentioned?

i'd go for a scissor lift or cherry picker every time.

pews aren't generally fixed to the floor. just shove 'em around a bit.

It will be good to see what one of the 'towers' look like, although I think I am erring towards scaffolding due to the limited access. I expect they'd be able to get scaffolding up between the pews.

Reply to Working at height? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock