Discuss Working at height? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I do a bit of work at our local church. Had the same problem with spotlights that I could luckily teach from the balcony.
The biggest problem was “old joe” the caretaker of the past would change the lamps, and put the faulty ones back in the store room beside the new ones.
7 boxes of lamps and only 1 good one found.
ive suggested the get LED ones into stock.

Another balcony had lights that were tripping their mcb. Due to the balcony not being used for safety reasons, I disconnected the part of the circuit going up there.

a big problem with churches I find is the location of the db is in the most awkward corner they can find.... and of course, you can’t swear in a church.

Now, @davesparks we all know what I meant. and as mentioned on a previous post..... 3 points of contact on the ladder..... only to be used for access and not working from.
Its all down to the heights involved and common sense.

Yes, 3 points of contact, but as taught on the last working at height I did your knees can be points of contact.

They shouldn't be used for long periods of working, but for short duration tasks such as changing lamps and fault finding I see no reason not to work from a ladder of it's the only access equipment which sensibly fits the task.

The suggestions in this thread about having scaffold built or using powered access inside a church seem ridiculous to my mind.
[automerge]1583956989[/automerge]
Liking the 3rd leg (she said) for stability. Not sure about being enclosed in the cage though - bit restrictive?

That's not much different to the basket on a tallescope.

I use ladders quite regularly. As long as they're footed and common sense is used, no problem.
I did use scaffold in a church last year for changing some lamps to led corns. They were central (no walls) and we just shifted the pews to suit.

In one old church I installed a winch in the attic for a multi lamp fitting.
EDIT. The pews were old, fixed and couldn't be seperated.

Yes, 3 points of contact, but as taught on the last working at height I did your knees can be points of contact.

They shouldn't be used for long periods of working, but for short duration tasks such as changing lamps and fault finding I see no reason not to work from a ladder of it's the only access equipment which sensibly fits the task.

The suggestions in this thread about having scaffold built or using powered access inside a church seem ridiculous to my mind.
[automerge]1583956989[/automerge]

That's not much different to the basket on a tallescope.

Had to Google that Dave. Useful bit of kit, bet they're not cheap.

I use ladders quite regularly. As long as they're footed and common sense is used, no problem.
I did use scaffold in a church last year for changing some lamps to led corns. They were central (no walls) and we just shifted the pews to suit.

In one old church I installed a winch in the attic for a multi lamp fitting.

That's OK if the pews aren't fixed
[automerge]1583957680[/automerge]
Had to Google that Dave. Useful bit of kit, bet they're not cheap.

A tallescope? You'll find one in pretty much every theatre, they're pretty much a standard piece of access equipment.

They're a bit unnerving until you get used to them, they can be a bit wobbly at full extension!

in a church, surely god will protect you?

on a more serious note, never attempt to do a job without the right equipment.
chance it with a ladder, you can get away with it for years but one day it WILL get you.

the church will not provide for you whilst you lie crippled.

Reply to Working at height? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock