Discuss working away from home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys my company is planning on sending me to work away at one of our branches which would involve overnight stays in a hotel or b&b.
As i have never done this before i was wondering what are the pay rates or expenses i should be expecting to ask for/get.

thanks

Whenever I have done trips like that, my expenses are for the following
All travel costs
All accommodation costs
cost of breakfast, lunch and dinner. (these have to be reasonable costs for the area)
no lunch at Harrads, followed by dinner at the Hilton.

I would not expect to be paid any extra for the time not working so wage should stay the same assuming you are traveling during your normal working hours.

if you are expected to travel up in your own time, this should be considered work and be paid at your normal hourly rate.

Hi guys my company is planning on sending me to work away at one of our branches which would involve overnight stays in a hotel or b&b.
As i have never done this before i was wondering what are the pay rates or expenses i should be expecting to ask for/get.

thanks
Out of pocket expenses Kenny, had this argument many times when I Travelled, and I travelled a lot.
You should get your accommodation paid for, meals are different, you may get breakfast included in your accommodation costs, that depends on the deal your employers strike with the Hotel/whatever.
However evening meals may be hard to fathom, how would you cope at home? you wouldn't be eating out every night, so what I did was negotiate an allowance for evening meals, but beware if you are booked into digs with facilities for cooking making tea etc you may fall foul, of the "well you can buy stuff at Tesco to cook in your Digs the same as you would at home.
Just be sensible as to what you ask for, believe I know, I travelled more than most of you will ever do. In the end we got HOTEL/BREAKFAST paid for an amount for sundries and eating out, based on local prices, just don't be greedy.

pete999 is right, if you have been provided a place with cooking facilities it could be considered reasonable that you will cook your own meals the same as you would at home.
don't be greedy is the key to the whole thing.

however, the general rule of thumb is that you should not be out of pocket for working away.
if you are on a 3 month assignement away from home and you are provided with a place that has a fridge and cooker, I would not expect anything for food etc.

but anything short term, I would be pulling the REASONABLE EXPENSES phrase out of my hat and expecting to be fed and watered.
I am self employed now and generaly charge my customers £60 a night for food and lodgings if I am outside London. this gives me £45 for a travel lodge and £15 for dinner and a beer.
but back when I was employed I would expect the company to put me up somewhere and feed me. if they failed to provide for my reasonable costs of doing so, I would have been unwilling to do it again.
I think I have been both fair with my previous employers and possibley lucky that I have had no problems with a disagreement over what is reasonable.

HMRC benchmark rates are £5 for breakfast, £10 for day meal and £15 for evening meal.
You’re also going to have to wash your clothes, so however much that costs.

I know it's under different circumstances but when the military sends me away on course and there is no base / camp nearby they pay for accommodation, I get given £25.00 for subsidence. That covers breakfast lunch and dinner. As already mentioned above your employer cant leave you out of pocket for being away. Depending on your employer as well can claim for travel there as work, fuel if you used your own vehicle etc.

I travel a hell of a lot and get the following. A permanent flat in London all bills paid. When elsewhere a hotel paid for sometimes with breakfast included. All travel and travel time fully paid plus £30 per day tax free subsistence allowance.

Stay at a premier inn and get the meal deal which is breakfast and dinner for £20. Rooms are always an acceptable standard and car parks generally have CCTV.
We have an account with them. Not the cheapest but you generally get what you pay for. They certainly leave Travelodge way behind.
The room costs can vary, though, depending where they are.
eg. London during the Chelsea Flower Show......working at Milwall FC a few years back, at one Premier they wanted £140 per night, two weeks previously it was £75. Get a price and book early, if pos.

We get £125 a night for accommodation (to include breakfast). £35 for evening meal.
Most peoples standards at home are much higher than stopping out with SKY TV, broadband, netflicks etc, better than whats on offer generally on over night stays.

Saying that I usually go for a Premier Inn just because I know what I'm getting and can get a decent shower and comfy bed.

Op , what you need to confirm with your boss is not only the allowances, but who is going to be paying the bills? Company credit card? Your credit card? How often you will need to submit these expenses and when they will get paid?

You don’t want to be offering your employer extended credit terms ....

Reply to working away from home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock