Discuss Would you all mind ripping into this in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A close friends sister has had this report imposed on her - while I accept work is required I think some of the c2's are a tad harsh, just want to confirm my thoughts before i get dragged into a discussion with the estate agent and their sparky (who lives 5 minutes walk from me)
As its a 60A main fuse I dont see why he has C2 the tails - no code for me.
Bonding on 6mm only a C3
Cables in walls with no RCD only a C3

Attachments

• UNSATISFACTORY.pdf
    455 KB · Views: 69
When you say 'imposed' on her... what do you mean?

It does seem somewhat harsh. Certainly I wouldn't code an undersized main earth anything other than C3 providing it was 6mm and above with no signs of thermal damage. Same for the cables in the wall... doesn't warrant a C2 in my opinion... C3 yes. Some of it would need to see.

1 3.4 Main earthing conductor undersized. See Regulation 543.1.1. C2 2 3.6 The cross-sectional area (csa) of the main protective bonding conductors does not meet the minimim requirements. See Regulation 544.1.1. C2 3 5.12.1 No RCD protection for socket-outlets that can be used outdoors. See Regulation 411.3.3. C2 4 5.12.3 No RCD protection for PVC/PVC cables in walls. See Regulation 522.6.202. C2 5 5.12.5 No 30mA RCD protection for circuits supplying luminaires with Class I fittings (applicable to dwellings). See Regulation 411.3.4. C3 6 4.4 DB/CU has signs of thermal damage. See Regulations 526.4; 526.5;
the end of the day its a judgment call for the inspector .
has for the cables buried in the wall c2 for me ,what's going to stop some body putting a nail in it .

Hard to comment too much without seeing the board, but if there really is signs of thermal damage to the DB then it probably is a fair unsatisfactory and the process of replacing the CU will fix all the others in any case - I'd be more cautious in vetting the quote they put in for making right.

However, since it's more fun picking holes in other people's reports than doing my own:

Is there really an RCD six monthly test notice at or near CU as they've ticked in the schedule? Seems unlikely, since there isn't apparently any RCD protection on any of the circuits?

Is the inspector NAPIT? Their Codebreakers book says C2 for non-RCD cables in walls, although most other guidance seems to disagree and consider it a C3

I'd agree that a 6mm cable earth would be at most a C3 for a 60A supply (assuming all in good order) - you could do the adiabatic calcs and it would almost certainly come well under that, in which case no code but a comment to show I'd considered it.

Similarly pretty sure the Best Practise Guide says 6mm bonding is fine, as long as there is no sign of damage.

The only C2 I'd give for the missing RCD is if it's a ground floor property/flat with obvious sockets that could be used for outside equipment.

They seem to have ticked to suggest that supplementary bonding is in place in the bathroom - otherwise that would be a C2

So even though it might be harsh, it looks like it would still end up with some C2s anyway (assuming there is signs of thermal damage, which is quite possible).

Compared to many EICRs that have been posted on here, this one seems pretty good tbh. Not really a fan of the layout, (bit too cartoony for me and not sure it really makes it easier to read for anyone) but that's a personal thing.

At least here aren't many circuits, so relatively simple to swap out with an RCBO board and not that expensive even if you went with an 'expensive' option like Hager.

Just make sure the letting agency run any quotes past the owner before giving someone the go-ahead to stick in a screwfix special.

Having said that - the inspection was apparently done on 4/11? In which case the 28 day rule would mean that things should have been corrected by now??

Thank you, nice to have someone else's opinions, didn't spot they had ticked the RCD test notice.

I think that she will get us to change the DB for her as she is not happy with her letting agency.

I've various red-flags with that report.......
an old enough board to be BS1361 and show signs of thermal degradation, yet the wiring is still off the scale in terms of insulation values??
And why conduct ALL IR tests at only 250v?
THREE lights downstairs that couldn't be bothered to take the lamps out of??
5s disconnect times??
RFC that's a hundred-ish metres long?? (2.5mm Cu @ 7.41mΩ /m)

Was the inspector actually inside the building??

If they are really getting those readings at 250V then why wouldn't you do it at 500V? I thought one of the reasons for the encouragement to do L&N-E was to avoid issues with damaging anything?

Looking a bit further, with those RFC readings, I wonder if the cpc is 1mm - that's a common gotcha with older cables (assuming they aren't imperial which is probably more likely)

Reply to Would you all mind ripping into this in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net