Discuss would you walk away? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

CUDABOY

hi all, started a job,recomended full rewire,jobs a mess, was 2 consumer units<wylex rewirables>as was up/down flats ish...some black vulcanised cable,some not.anyhow told to do the essentials,i run new lighting circuit / and one ring for extention.the rest of the house and c/u change were to come as ongoing/money allows....i wired the extension lights,9 resessed 230v spots<customer bought>ive basically been going for couple days here/there and left the job on a friday un energised<lights id wired>and said let me know when plasterboarding as will come same day in case of probs,heard nothing then bumped into cuctomer by chance to " when you going to finish...." did say i need to be told, ie phone etc and when came found lights had been fitted/sunk<nice job must say!!!>and told they couldnt wait for me!!! im good but i aint telepathic!,asked they wanted cu changing as that was beyond their labourer,lights etc about his limit!!! feel like walking away as nothing oweing and no paperwork.ive thought about it for a good week, initially was tamping,im easy going,probobally too easy but if your on a job YOUR ON A JOB unless ill/holiday etc.the certificate gone out the window,didnt really want to fall out with builder either as he needs some stuff certifying but thats another story......sorry a long yarn................

Personally i'd be ****ed...you dont know how he has wired these lights, they may look alright but one loose connection and you are screwed

I would say before you certify anything you will have to check everything he did just to be certain and charge them (just hope that all connections are accessible

you would be taking a risk if you certified it and there was a fire some time in the future

I know it prob is all fine but im afraid you cant take any chances these days

Lay down the law if you're certing it- your way or no-way! if not get your cash, dont give a reciept, give them a warning and think about warning building control- customers will tell you anything to save a few pennies but when it all goes wrong the finger points and its your --- in prison.

Tell them to get there labourer to finish the rest ,tell them your not responsible for any of it mate and walk away.might make them think a bit!!!!!

im too pretty to go to jail so im not going to walk away......im going to run away!!!! anyone see rouge traders last nite? so called sparky trying to re set rcd with customer watching saying theres a fault.....sneakily having his thumb over reset button so it wouldnt reset,and must be a fault........ have to remember that one LOL!!!

Common problem, you have to make a stand somewhere otherwise it will continue to happen on a regular basis and the general public will carry on using this route if its going to save them some money.

I'm sure you didn't just study part of your electrical qulaifications because it was cheaper to do so and still get a C&G certificate?

Tell them to get xxxxxx :mad:

did my 236 1/2 early 90s,recently did my part p/eal and 17th to go down domestic installer,be legal and a pro.hoping to capitalize on the people who have involved building control,ie extention and need cert etc and wouldnt risk f@@@ with it getting labourer to have a go!!!.waiting for my assesment then will go on advertising stint,up until now its been odd bits pieces,catch 22.......cannot advertise as "electrician" as not technically "qualified"...........waiting to get all sorted,does make you wonder why bother tho!!! but you right, gotta make a stand,if they not like <customers> bugger them, if they want a shortcut/cost saving etc and it goes wrong whos to blame............

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate - in the same position as you, just doing stuff with a building inspector or minor at the moment till I get registered. You were right to walk away from that job. I've had a number of customers that would rather have a cheap shortcut than a pukka job but they usually come round when you mention fire risk etc. If they want it cheap and nasty they can go somewhere else. It amazes me that people will risk their lives for the sake of a few quid.

in our case its RIDE AWAY!!! ha, ive submitted my 2 jobs for nic, just waiting for date,nearlly all the work ive been doing people not want/ or familar with certs etc,just in and out.you got much on over the bridge? since posting post ive been asked to go back and finish work in question.............. mmm.the jury is undecided...

Loads of work at the moment - got hooked up with a project manager that has extensions on the go all over the place. his previous spark kept letting him down, so as long as I keep turning up I get the work. I'm trying to be semi retired at the moment - just finished 30 year milutary career so did not want too much work, but it seems once your phone number is passed around it never stops ringing. I'm in two minds whether to bother registering - I've got the 2381/2 - 2391 and EAL Dom installers certs but the work I am doing always has the same building inspector and had no probs so far. Its a bit of a catch 22 - if I register, I'll have to work, if I don't register I can be a bit more choosy. The agony of choice!!!! Hows the credit crunch affecting your part of Wales?

well to be honest im only just getting back into it, been away from the tools full time but kept my hand in, mates etc,been in lift indusrty but hated the travel and wife had our first child 8 months ago so wanted to get back to sparking and have a little freedom where i work and hopfully keep it local, its carch 22 ,not advertised my services as spark as not got part p etc.....its domestics im after, in/out nice n easy!!! hoping once get my domestic installer badge and advertise hopfully get a little..........:D

Reply to would you walk away? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock