Discuss X-Ray warning Light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Flanders

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good Afternoon

I have a customer (a vets) that currently has a red light that turns on outside the room when the x -ray machine is in use . They are looking to replace this for an LED "X-ray on sign" , I have found various images of them from good old google but can't find who sells them, I Have tried CEF but they could not find one either , Do any of you guys know where I could get one from

Thanks in advance for any help

See if one of your wholesalers can deal with Raybloc….they do them.

If not, get a clear maintained em batten and a thick felt pen.;)

Thanks I will take a look
[automerge]1584721744[/automerge]
See if one of your wholesalers can deal with Raybloc….they do them.

If not, get a clear maintained em batten and a thick felt pen.;)
Thanks

Yes I was thinking I would have to make one but I know they exist as I have seen them I will have a look At Raybloc

If you can't get them, or if they are stupidly expensive or not quite what the client wants, it might be worth seeing if there is a local sign-making company.

There is one in Dundee that does stuff like equipment control panels and warning signs, as well as the usual shop signs, etc. Someone like that might be able to do coloured plastic with an opaque layer for such a sign.

Beware of the wording of the sign. It will likely have to be specific in the same way electrical warnings and notices have to be. The link below mentions the health and safety regulations 1996.

See here: Danger X-Rays Do Not Enter When Red Light Is On Signs - https://safetybox.co.uk/danger-x-rays-do-not-enter-when-red-light-is-on-sign

Or these if the vet has cash to burn ....

Last edited:
(a vets) that currently has a red light that turns on outside the room when the x -ray machine is in use
Part of me wants to say ..Get it in bits looking for signs of
" Multiple redundancy" - Fail safe ON / Fail sounder. To justify the extortionate
BS certified design ? ! Prices. ( expensive red tape ).

(If it is incandescent , is it under run for long life. )

Good Afternoon

I have a customer (a vets) that currently has a red light that turns on outside the room when the x -ray machine is in use . They are looking to replace this for an LED "X-ray on sign" , I have found various images of them from good old google but can't find who sells them, I Have tried CEF but they could not find one either , Do any of you guys know where I could get one from

Thanks in advance for any help
Hey Flanders

I am Practice Manager for a vets and just wondering if you found a solution to this? The only signs I can find to buy are stupidly expensive at £600 each and I need two! Thanks in advance

Hey Flanders

I am Practice Manager for a vets and just wondering if you found a solution to this? The only signs I can find to buy are stupidly expensive at £600 each and I need two! Thanks in advance
Sorry I was also quoted around that price aswell. don't know why they are so expensive.

Sorry I was also quoted around that price aswell. don't know why they are so expensive.
Last one I did was in a dental hospital.

X-Ray warning Light 20210818_155526 - EletriciansForums.netX-Ray warning Light 20210818_155535 - EletriciansForums.net

The warning light is two stage, yellow when system powered red when X-ray is 'armed' and ready to trigger.

To be honest the job in the pictures is way OTT (NHS) and it seems there is a very wide interpretation of the regulations, this being one extreme and the other being a sliding sign on the door.

The supplier for the light was a company called Phillip Payne, this ligjt was £200 is but they do others, Google them.

Edit to add,

One thing the dentist's surveyor does seem keen on is a means of isolation at the operator position, which is usually the door to the surgery, this is commonly done using the fused spur than feeds the X-ray.
If this is the case a single stage light wired to the load side of the same fused spur will turn the light on when the X-ray is powered up. The Phillip Payne ones are internally fused so no issues so long as the flex is 13A rated.

All this is a bit bizarre in my humble opinion as there is usually a nurse stood at the door triggering the X-ray, can't they just stop anyone entering?

The only real need is where you have two or more means of entry in which case a simple draw bolt would resolve the problem.

Health and safety clipboard Jockies let loose in the real world and this is the madness you get.

Last edited:
Last one I did was in a dental hospital.

View attachment 90497View attachment 90498

The warning light is two stage, yellow when system powered red when X-ray is 'armed' and ready to trigger.

To be honest the job in the pictures is way OTT (NHS) and it seems there is a very wide interpretation of the regulations, this being one extreme and the other being a sliding sign on the door.

The supplier for the light was a company called Phillip Payne, this ligjt was £200 is but they do others, Google them.
I cannot remember the exact price I was quoted but it was a lot and was just before lockdown last year . So the job got put on the back burner and I had forgotten all about it?

I have worked on XRay equipment for industrial use and the indicator warning light was a little lamp with a non standard resistance. Part of the pre start was to measure this to make sure the warning lamp would work before starting. Ofc you had to buy OEM parts at silly prices and lead times. I am wondering if this is part of the reason these signs are so expensive and also something to consider when looking for a replacement is that it may not be just as simple as having any light connected to this power source.

I have worked on XRay equipment for industrial use and the indicator warning light was a little lamp with a non standard resistance. Part of the pre start was to measure this to make sure the warning lamp would work before starting. Ofc you had to buy OEM parts at silly prices and lead times. I am wondering if this is part of the reason these signs are so expensive and also something to consider when looking for a replacement is that it may not be just as simple as having any light connected to this power source.
Not here, two six inch strips of LED tape and a couple of chinesium drivers.?

I didn't spec this light it was specified by the surveyor.

Reply to X-Ray warning Light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock