Discuss xpelair sweep fans in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evenin All!

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with industrial sweep fans?

Ive just replaced some in a factory, and the client thinks that they are going the wrong way.

Important that i add, the existing wiring means that we can only run these in the one direction. The idea is that they blow the hot air in the roof down during the colder months.

They are xpelair sweep fans and i have wired them from the controller and onto the reverse winding of the fan. So in theory they should run in reverse, as according to xpelair tech help that is the way they should go for blowing down. Xpelair now say that i need a different controller. i would have thought that if the reverse winding is energised then they would go in reverse. am i wrong?

any help is much appreciated.
thanks

Looking at the diagram on the Xpelair site live to LF or LR depending on the rotation required and neutral and earth to the respective terminals the controller looks to be an expensive two way switch unless you need speed control
I notice there are a few different controllers but for single direction you wont need a reversing one
You would need to check the fan windings, controller output and connections for any problems
Have you tried the fan on a switch without the controller in circuit to check it works

hi and thanks for reply

Yes the fans do work. i wired them to the reverse winding of the motor. the next day the customer phoned me to say that they are going the wrong way. maybe their original fans went the other way, these are a different make so maybe the blades are different. I dont know whether you are supposed to feel a down draught from them or not.

Anyway i called xpelair and thats when they told me i need a different controller. although i cant see how it makes any difference if ive connected to the reverse winding, it should go in reverse, right?!

The other explanation i can think of is that; is reverse the correct direction for the fans, to blow down? maybe it should be forward? it dosent say in the instructions. I have a feeling when i call xpelair that they just bring up the instructions onto the screen in front of them and dont actually know.

this is one of those really simple jobs turning into a pain in backside!

thanks again

Just tried to see if there was any info on their website but it is all very vague and not informative. I think it is just try it and see

Sorry take that back:rolleyes:. If you wired them initially on the reverse terminal wouldn't reverse suggest that it's sucking the air in the upwards direction? the default for a fan is forward, pushing air down? sorry I'm dyslexic so everything is back to front and round the wrong way :).

Last edited by a moderator:
you could be right there peenywise. it may be that they have to go forward. its a shame no one on the xpelair tech helps knows how their products work. ironic really as i chose the xpelair because i thought i was buying from a reputable company with good support and didnt just buy the cheapest ones i could find.

the new controller is supposed to be turning up tomorrow so ill see how it goes and you know.

thanks to all

Bugger will just have to correct myself lol had a think, anti-clockwise will be reverse and so should pull air down from the ceiling, clockwise ie forwards should draw the air up. sorry about that, maybe some one in the factory put the pitch of the blades the wrong way to the rotation of the motor. Well we shall have to wait and see:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok quick update

new controller turned up and connected it up. as i expected it made no difference at all (thanks a bunch xpelair tech help).

So i have wired it all up according to the instructions to go in reverse (according to their paperwork this is correct for winter operation).
The fans are running in a clockwise rotation as you look up at them, dont know if thats right or not.

Customer still thinks they should be going the other way but is willing to try them as they are for a while.

All in all a nice simple litttle job turns into a pain in the backside.

Reply to xpelair sweep fans in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net