Discuss Yet Another Dodgy EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Much of what you point out is valid, however I will have to disagree on this point. Regardless of whether the legal requirement is for these to be carried out five-yearly or not, the Report must surely state a recommendation to next inspection based upon the condition of the electrical installation. Otherwise the box would be pointless.

So if the condition of the installation warranted the advice of three years to the next inspection, then that is the interval that should be stated. Or if it was in really bad condition then perhaps six months or whatever. I have had this issue before with business owners complaining that I had not given a five year recommendation for their business premises. I pointed out that my assessment was based on the installation as inspected - as it is required to be.

I understand and would not normally take issue with what you say. However, in this particular instance I seriously doubt that an installation which the tester has assessed as being only 15 years old would require periodic testing at three-year intervals. Fifty years, perhaps, yes. Fifteen, no. Not unless the installation was in unusually poor condition for its age. But in the absence of any test results we have no way of determining if this is actually the case here.

Out of curiosity, what would you guys usually charge for undertaking an EICR in a three-bedroom property?

According to a landlord customer of mine £65. Can I beat that price she has been quoted ? :laughing:

Yes of course madam , and I will drive past tonight and compile my report this evening. I won’t even have to disturb the tenants.
It will be with you via email at 9am tomorrow morning

Please deposit £64 into this bank account

I remember when I was an apprentice you could get a pir done at £4 per circuit

That was 2o years ago thou

I've just quoted a private landlord £250, it's a 3 bed house. I always explain that I have to be thorough as it's important and need a day to do it right including the paperwork. Accepted immediately. :) But in that price we'd replace the odd damaged socket or light switch for example and if we complete the job in say 6 hours I'll knock a little bit off the quoted cost, they like that.

I've just quoted a private landlord £250, it's a 3 bed house. I always explain that I have to be thorough as it's important and need a day to do it right including the paperwork. Accepted immediately. :) But in that price we'd replace the odd damaged socket or light switch for example and if we complete the job in say 6 hours I'll knock a little bit off the quoted cost, they like that.

And the screw heads would be lined up :):)

According to a landlord customer of mine £65. Can I beat that price she has been quoted ? :laughing:

£250.00 sounds about right Dave. Alas, it just isn't possible to get anywhere near that kind of price accepted around Glasgow, not when you have "landlord compliance certification" companies offering to do EICRs in three-bedroom properties for £95.00.

I'm considering withdrawing EICRs from the list of services that I offer and withdrawing from this saturated market altogether as it's become a race to the bottom.

£250.00 sounds about right Dave. Alas, it just isn't possible to get anywhere near that kind of price accepted around Glasgow, not when you have "landlord compliance certification" companies offering to do EICRs in three-bedroom properties for £95.00.

I'm considering withdrawing EICRs from the list of services that I offer and withdrawing from this saturated market altogether as it's become a race to the bottom.

To be honest I don't get quite a few mate, the accepted ones are generally existing customers or someone that I've been recommended to. But I'd say there's a major problem right across the country with bad EICRs, I see plenty just as bad as the one you've recently highlighted. It's never right when you're undercut by these unscrupulous idiots who couldn't care less, not sure what we can really do about it though.... :(

To be honest I don't get quite a few mate, the accepted ones are generally existing customers or someone that I've been recommended to. But I'd say there's a major problem right across the country with bad EICRs, I see plenty just as bad as the one you've recently highlighted. It's never right when you're undercut by these unscrupulous idiots who couldn't care less, not sure what we can really do about it though.... :(

Some of the EICRs that I've been asked to provide a second opinion on have either turned-out to be fake, or incorrect due to the tester's incompetence. If what I've witnessed up here in Glasgow is typical of the rest of the UK, then yes, we most certainly do have a major problem on our hands.

As honest, professional electricians all we can do is identify and expose unscrupulous operators wherever we find them.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what would you guys usually charge for undertaking an EICR in a three-bedroom property?
£200 is my starting price for them, i.e. I don't do them for less than that.

So with a standard three bed generally the £200.

I personally feel the base price should be £250 to allow for a day but I've found that I can regularly get them accepted at £200 but £250 not so much so. That said, add a bedroom or power in a garage or shed or whatever and it would be £250 upwards.

Which makes a complete mockery of the mandatory EICRs for rented properties in Scotland and coming to England at some point. It just becomes a box ticking exercise to be done at the lowest cost possible.
You’re absolutely right Simon although you didn’t mention WALES! The EICR now just seems to be pages of tick boxes the worst part is that I do EICR’s for private landlords and then don’t get called back to rectify problems I don’t know if it’s because I find so many problems and give accurate price to reflect their neglect of electrics over the years or if they want me to summarise the faults and then get a cheap sparky/diyer in to do botch jobs and get certificate from elsewhere won’t believe some of the stuff I’ve come across

Which makes a complete mockery of the mandatory EICRs for rented properties in Scotland and coming to England at some point. It just becomes a box ticking exercise to be done at the lowest cost possible.
My sentiments exactly.
My estimation of 90% of eicrs falling well below what should be regarded as acceptable,it may not be far off the mark
On the basis of what I've seen with my own eyes, I wouldn't disagree with your estimation.
Rouge companies who have destroyed the market with insane pricing whilst employing people with too little experience for the task
You have succinctly hit the nail on the head. Well said Des.

@JK-Electrical Have you reported this to SELECT? I'm NICEIC but have to say my recent contact with them over poor work I found was exceptional even though the culprit wasn't registered with any CPS (or SJIB) and I'm not in the SELECT gang. In contrast the NICEIC were appalling.

@JK-Electrical Have you reported this to SELECT?
I most certainly have Richy. SELECT have been informed, and the company responsible for this poor-quality EICR will hopefully be disciplined, or better still, have their membership revoked. I sure hope so.
I'm NICEIC but have to say my recent contact with them over poor work I found was exceptional even though the culprit wasn't registered with any CPS (or SJIB) and I'm not in the SELECT gang. In contrast the NICEIC were appalling.
We will never be able to raise industry standards if we bury our heads in the sand, shrug our shoulders and say it isn't our problem. It is our problem! It's our industry!! Not only are these rogue companies compromising electrical safety in other people's properties, they are also compromising the livelihoods of conscientious contractors who can provide a more professional service, but who are prevented from doing so because they cannot compete with the ridiculously low prices that these rogue "landlord certification" companies submit.

I don't know what state the domestic market is in up in your neck of the woods, but down here in Glasgow the market is in very bad shape indeed. While I have come to expect poor quality workmanship from the plumbers, kitchen-fitters, bathroom-fitters and DIYers who carry-out electrical installation work, I do not, however, expect to see the same from a SELECT member. They bring discredit upon the good name of SELECT. I therefore had no reservations whatsoever in reporting the company concerned.

Reply to Yet Another Dodgy EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net