Discuss Zone port wirring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this website and am only just starting my training into the electrical world
My problem is that I'm running cables whilst my gaffer (trainer)is away for a week but the punter has stopped me dead in my tracks with a question
He has fitted a zone port valve himself so that he can keep the underfloor heating on in his new kitchen without the rest of the heating being on and he wants this valve on a separate programmer up stairs and as I'm running cable I need to know if I have to run the multi core back to the boiler or can this programmer be run just to the port valve and a 3amp fuse spur ? Any help would be appreciated

It cannot (and must not) have a separate FCU from the rest of the system. There must be only one point of isolation of power.

Wiring depends on the setup. Usually Multi core to the WIRING CENTRE, not the boiler itself. Its going to be up to you as to how many cores you need. There's a lot to consider. ie, as well as a valve, is there a separate pump for the new kitchen? When will this kick in, the same time as call for heat from the boiler?

It cannot (and must not) have a separate FCU from the rest of the system. There must be only one point of isolation of power.

Wiring depends on the setup. Usually Multi core to the WIRING CENTRE, not the boiler itself. Its going to be up to you as to how many cores you need. There's a lot to consider. ie, as well as a valve, is there a separate pump for the new kitchen? When will this kick in, the same time as call for heat from the boiler?
Hello many thanks for your reply
There is a separate pump for the floor and the valve that has been used is v4043h1056 all this is a bit complicated for me at present but was hoping to get 1st fix in before the gaffer gets back and get it in right first time the programmer the punter has is a Drayton lp241 which he has at the boiler already he's under the assumption that this port valve is ok wired through this programmer solely on it's own just to open and close it but again this is out of my league

You are probably best telling him you don’t know, seeing as you are a trainee..
Leave it till your boss gets back or maybe ask him..
A 5 core flex from the zone valve back to the wiring centre might do the job but best checking with your boss really.
Yes I totally agree
Gaffer keeps his phone off when on hols unfortunately and I didn't want to hold the plasters up if I could help it but also don't want to make a mistake neither

Better to be looking at it then for it..
Where is the manifold and zone valve situated in relation to the boiler?
I take it there is no thermal store?

There's too many variables. Post a photo of the manifold in the kitchen and also photo what provides the wiring centre for the heating system. (I guess the rest of the house is underfloor heating too, or is it radiators?).
Where is the isolation switch for the system located?
Then may be able to suggest a POSSIBLE way forward.

PS Don't worry about the plasterers, they actually enjoy hanging around with nothing to do. They pretend they don't, but really they'd rather be drinking tea and listening to TalkSport.

There's too many variables. Post a photo of the manifold in the kitchen and also photo what provides the wiring centre for the heating system. (I guess the rest of the house is underfloor heating too, or is it radiators?).
Where is the isolation switch for the system located?
Then may be able to suggest a POSSIBLE way forward.

PS Don't worry about the plasterers, they actually enjoy hanging around with nothing to do. They pretend they don't, but really they'd rather be drinking tea and listening to TalkSport.

Whereabouts?

That new programmer will work but needs to be wired to the control centre to operate the boiler via the new zone valve.
Just take 5 core flexes from the wiring centre to all pieces of kit
Sorry in regards to ur whereabouts the valve is in the back bedroom just after where the ufh pipes run out into the new build extension and down to the pump on one of the image's

Reply to Zone port wirring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net