Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Zone port wirring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all I'm new to this website and am only just starting my training into the electrical world
My problem is that I'm running cables whilst my gaffer (trainer)is away for a week but the punter has stopped me dead in my tracks with a question
He has fitted a zone port valve himself so that he can keep the underfloor heating on in his new kitchen without the rest of the heating being on and he wants this valve on a separate programmer up stairs and as I'm running cable I need to know if I have to run the multi core back to the boiler or can this programmer be run just to the port valve and a 3amp fuse spur ? Any help would be appreciated

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
It cannot (and must not) have a separate FCU from the rest of the system. There must be only one point of isolation of power.

Wiring depends on the setup. Usually Multi core to the WIRING CENTRE, not the boiler itself. Its going to be up to you as to how many cores you need. There's a lot to consider. ie, as well as a valve, is there a separate pump for the new kitchen? When will this kick in, the same time as call for heat from the boiler?

Charlie_

-
Arms
You are probably best telling him you don’t know, seeing as you are a trainee..
Leave it till your boss gets back or maybe ask him..
A 5 core flex from the zone valve back to the wiring centre might do the job but best checking with your boss really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It cannot (and must not) have a separate FCU from the rest of the system. There must be only one point of isolation of power.

Wiring depends on the setup. Usually Multi core to the WIRING CENTRE, not the boiler itself. Its going to be up to you as to how many cores you need. There's a lot to consider. ie, as well as a valve, is there a separate pump for the new kitchen? When will this kick in, the same time as call for heat from the boiler?
Hello many thanks for your reply
There is a separate pump for the floor and the valve that has been used is v4043h1056 all this is a bit complicated for me at present but was hoping to get 1st fix in before the gaffer gets back and get it in right first time the programmer the punter has is a Drayton lp241 which he has at the boiler already he's under the assumption that this port valve is ok wired through this programmer solely on it's own just to open and close it but again this is out of my league

You are probably best telling him you don’t know, seeing as you are a trainee..
Leave it till your boss gets back or maybe ask him..
A 5 core flex from the zone valve back to the wiring centre might do the job but best checking with your boss really.
Yes I totally agree
Gaffer keeps his phone off when on hols unfortunately and I didn't want to hold the plasters up if I could help it but also don't want to make a mistake neither

Charlie_

-
Arms
Better to be looking at it then for it..
Where is the manifold and zone valve situated in relation to the boiler?
I take it there is no thermal store?

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
There's too many variables. Post a photo of the manifold in the kitchen and also photo what provides the wiring centre for the heating system. (I guess the rest of the house is underfloor heating too, or is it radiators?).
Where is the isolation switch for the system located?
Then may be able to suggest a POSSIBLE way forward.

PS Don't worry about the plasterers, they actually enjoy hanging around with nothing to do. They pretend they don't, but really they'd rather be drinking tea and listening to TalkSport.

Better to be looking at it then for it..
Where is the manifold and zone valve situated in relation to the boiler?
I take it there is no thermal store?
Zone port has been placed on the flow just before the manifold up stairs back bedroom away from the boiler by about 10 meters or so what do you mean by thermal store?

There's too many variables. Post a photo of the manifold in the kitchen and also photo what provides the wiring centre for the heating system. (I guess the rest of the house is underfloor heating too, or is it radiators?).
Where is the isolation switch for the system located?
Then may be able to suggest a POSSIBLE way forward.

PS Don't worry about the plasterers, they actually enjoy hanging around with nothing to do. They pretend they don't, but really they'd rather be drinking tea and listening to TalkSport.

Charlie_

-
Arms
If the new zone valve goes in line with the existing one then he isn’t going to achieve what he wants.. The main heating will be on with the ufh.

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Reply to Zone port wirring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom