Discuss Zs on replacement accessories. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Right, who does and who doesn't take a documented earth loop reading when they replace an accessory such as a light fitting, switch or socket?

And does anyone know ? if its a requirement that is written in GN3 or anywhere as direct replacement of electrical accessories.

As a rule I have always done a quick earth loop, just to be sure were all good at the point under test. But recently its been questioned as to why I do such test considering I'm not altering the circuit.

Your thoughts please.....

I do, just to satisfy myself that nothing is amiss and if something does happen I have the security of knowing it checked out ok when I fitted it. Just a belt and braces approach really. I cannot recall it as a requirement, but I love playing with gadgets. As well mistakes are made if we are honest and it is a good simple test to ensure polarity as the MFT will flag up a wrong connection.

I agree with Vortigern, if you have a MFT then why not use it whenever you do any work?

It also covers that nagging feeling that whatever you just fixed might not have been tested properly before...

And who here can say they have never connected things up wrong? Not me anyway. I sometimes find when connecting a lot of lights up ladders and get into the routine of L on the left PL on the middle N on the 3rd terminal E on the 4th it can get a bit automatic and I wonder if I did it all right as I sometimes daydream while repeating over and over the same process. However testing can allay that worry.

Last edited:
And who here can say they have never connected things up wrong? Not me anyway. I sometimes find when connecting a lot of lights up ladders and get into the routine of L on the left PL on the middle N on the 3rd terminal E on the 4th it can get a bit automatic and I wonder if I did it all right as I sometimes daydream while repeating over and over the same process. However testing can allay that worry.

Agree with all the replies. We can all justify why we do it. I think I was more curious in if anyone knew if it was an actual requirement or not?

actual requirement or not?
As stated in first post, no, it might just muster "best practice" MEIWC requires it, but like for like replacement can be done by an electrically unskilled DIYer who it is accepted could not do these tests hence the lack of requirement.

Reply to Zs on replacement accessories. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock