Zs

Discuss Zs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've done hundreds and hundreds of loop tests on all kinds of circuits, and never had any problems of the kind your describing.

To be fair, i've IR'd Phase-Neutral on 500V by mistake more than a few times, and got away with it. Maybe I've been fortunate up until now!

There is no problem IR testing P-n but by joining P-N together on a PIR and testing to earth you're cutting out a step. As the book says P-N, P-PE, N-PE. If you do P/N-PE you only do one test as long as it all measures out ok (it should on a pir as it has been working for the last 75 years since the last one!!)

really? i've always done them seperately, way i take it, if you test P/N - PE, there could still be a dead short between Phase and Neutral and without doing the seperate tests you'd not know.

is this wrong?

If you are doing a pir then hopefully the breaker would have gone if there was a problem. On a new install check every circuit. but if the circuit has been in use since the dawn of time then a little discretion should be used. Testing is not just about taking a reading and writing it down but taking 5hitloads of readings writing them down, and then looking at them to see if they match up. Do everything by the book and you'll never be "wrong" but do it all with an understanding of WHY and it'll happen a lot quicker.

Fair comment. I suppose that's where competence plays it's part, there's a big difference in being able to think about things as compared to just doing things and going through the motions eh!

Hi All,
Connecting line & neutral together and tested to earth will not damage equipment during insulation resistance test.Never known damage to computers etc when left plugged in during loop test.

if you connect line and neutral, which jeremy has explained to me is perfectly reasonable, then it wouldn't harm any equipment plugged in because there would be no potential voltage to attract current from line to neutral. same theory as equipotential bonding

^^ does that sound about right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on!! If P is 1GV and N is 1GV their potential difference is still a big ZERO so no current will flow ( between them, however at 1GV I wouldn't want to be in the same room!!!). I really hope this has helped with a bit of testing theory

hi all

then i have been lucky !!

tested zs at sockets with kit plugged in could not power down various reasons
obiviously no ir tests done

cheers

will think about this in future though

My 1653 doesn't have an isolation resistant tester. What should I do? And I don't understand the 1000V setting. Please help. yours expectantly, Jeremy.

A loop tester will test the earth loop impedance, it does this by inserting a resistor across line & earth, it cannot damage any other equipment connected to that circuit.

Reply to Zs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock