Discuss 100a Isolation Switch Cost in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 112675

Hello Everyone

Despite buying electricians gloves, other ppe, 25mm tails and the switch itself I'd still rather it be done by someone a/ qualified and b/ has done it many times before. Only worse case would I consider c/ ....

Anyway, I guess there are some variables so maybe hard to get an approximate price but I'd have thought on my board surely it would be less than an hour's work to pull the main fuse and fit an isolator after the meter? Assuming there was no issue with the DNO (sse) which I think there wouldn't be for a NICEIC etc electrician, and assuming the existing tail lengths are plenty long enough out of the meter, how much would I be looking at? £200 ?

Also, since the work might involve taking the tails out of the existing CU and routing them to the new isolator, could the electrician we hired be obliged to shut down everything if he thought the CU was unsafe? That is actually my biggest fear with hiring anyone rather than doing myself.

I think you need to readdress your biggest fear. If your installation were to warrant immediate isolation by a professional electrician, he/she may be saving you and your family’s lives. If you DIY you may learn the hard way. Have a word with your home insurer in the morning if in any doubt.

Why do you want an isolator fitted ?
You could try your energy supplier first for quotes for one fitted.

I think he wants to an isolator after the meter but not sure he can do it himself i think ‍♂
In fairness and mindful of not wanting to scare off a new member, despite his demonstrating intent to DIY by buying a load of stuff & PPE, credit to him for thinking better of attempting the work and coming to the forum for advice.

I was hoping to get an approx cost. I was assuming the work would be something like:

remove load
cut fuse carrier seals and remove carrier
move tails from CU into new 100a dp switch
fit new tails from output of switch into CU

As far as I know the existing installation is not dangerous but it is old. Most qualified electricians I'm sure are honest but there are probably plenty who are not.

Then the SSE are wrong as we cannot legally pull main fuses. Only the DNO’s and power supplier companies can do that.

This was their reply just now. I have to say wrongly or rightly I'm more inclined to believe what they tell me.

Hi *****, thanks for getting in touch. We are the Distribution Network Operator and own the power lines outside as well as the cut out fuse at the property. Our equipment is all located before the meter and our engineers are not trained to work on the internal electrics at the property. A qualified electrician would be required to install an isolation switch, they would normally need to have NICEIC qualifications or this equivalent to ensure they are able to isolate the power at our fuse to complete this work. I hope this helps. -***

SSE allow registered contractors to pull fuses and reseal. An enlightened view that is not shared by other DNOs as yet.

Thanks that's interesting. So only a subset of qualified electricians that have signed up to be a registered contractor can do it ?

How much are they likely to charge me ?

My guess is they'd charge me zero because they won't do it without wanting a load of other work including at least testing the existing installation and probably upgrading the consumer unit.

If that's the case, think I'll risk my life.

This was their reply just now. I have to say wrongly or rightly I'm more inclined to believe what they tell me.

Hi *****, thanks for getting in touch. We are the Distribution Network Operator and own the power lines outside as well as the cut out fuse at the property. Our equipment is all located before the meter and our engineers are not trained to work on the internal electrics at the property. A qualified electrician would be required to install an isolation switch, they would normally need to have NICEIC qualifications or this equivalent to ensure they are able to isolate the power at our fuse to complete this work. I hope this helps. -***

We can install a double pole isolator and attach (tails)cables from this isolator to the fuse board( consumer unit), but we cannot touch the=tails coming out of the meter. The supply company would have to pull main incoming fuse and connect the tails from meter into the double pole isolator.
We as electricians are not legally allowed to pull the main incoming fuse.

SSE allow registered contractors to pull fuses and reseal. An enlightened view that is not shared by other DNOs as yet.

I take back my 2 previous posts as I didn’t know this was an option in some areas.

I have to say it’s aboutbtime this happened, unfortunately I suspect it’s not happening in most areas. It’s not available in my area in the south west.

It would be wrongly. It is an offence to interfere with the Supplier's equipment.

EDIT: I have read the comments that SSE are one of the very select few DNOs who authorise this.

Even with the correct training, tooling and PPE you still need to be MOCOPA registered to work on sealed supplies.

Reply to 100a Isolation Switch Cost in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock