Discuss 110V mains into 240v rated inlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a charger that is fitted with a 240v rated 2p+E male inlet and a matching 240v rated female plug. However it is connected to a charger that is rated for 110V as it will be operated in the US. Is there an issue (if any) with supplying 110v Ac mains paired with the 240v rated plug and inlet?

is There any drawbacks to not using matching 110v rated inlets/plugs or even any benefits to using either option?

thanks

Hi all,

I have a charger that is fitted with a 240v rated 2p+E male inlet and a matching 240v rated female plug. However it is connected to a charger that is rated for 110V as it will be operated in the US. Is there an issue (if any) with supplying 110v Ac mains paired with the 240v rated plug and inlet?

is There any drawbacks to not using matching 110v rated inlets/plugs or even any benefits to using either option?

thanks
Shuan you can use the 240vac plug with 120vac. The best option would be the higher the voltage the lower the current

You don't mention what type of inlet, but if it is one coded for a particular voltage (e.g. IEC 60309 where both the colour and key position indicate the voltage) I would definitely not use it as you describe. It would be too easy for someone to assume it's 230V and give it that (they have 240V available in the US too) which would blow up the charger. A blue 120V inlet is like a green stop light, confusing and error-prone. The same would be true of NEMA connectors which are coded for voltage although not so obviously different colours.

You don't mention what type of inlet, but if it is one coded for a particular voltage (e.g. IEC 60309 where both the colour and key position indicate the voltage) I would definitely not use it as you describe. It would be too easy for someone to assume it's 230V and give it that (they have 240V available in the US too) which would blow up the charger. A blue 120V inlet is like a green stop light, confusing and error-prone. The same would be true of NEMA connectors which are coded for voltage although not so obviously different colours.

Sorry I did forget to mention. The current inlet does have a set colour and matching plug with a key slot to suit. They are matched at the moment but they are matched blue (230V). I am in the process of retrofitting both blue components to both yellow 110v equivalent components but am wondering if/how necessary/crucial it is?

Reply to 110V mains into 240v rated inlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net