Discuss 110v pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
at the mo i am subbying to a company who as part of there work are doing pat testing on a large installation which i shall not say who or what .
i have had a arguement with them because i say if doing 110v pat testing you must do a run test to see if there is leekage current during normal operation and to see if it works and the tester they have supplied does not have this they say its not needed who is right i believe i am

Hey mate.

If it's 110V equipment I'm guessing you're on a construction site/industrial environment.

The IEE code of practice for in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment states that for any of the above types of equipment i.e 110V the frequency of checks, visual inspections and inspection and test, are far more frequent than any other type of equipment in any other type of environment, with the maximum time between full tests being 3 months.

But I cant see anything that says for definate that load testing should be carried out. The only piece I can find is below -

"In it's simplest form a functional check is simply a check to ensure the appliance is working properly.
The use of more sophisticated instruments MAY PERMIT load testing which is an effective way of determining wether there are certain faults on appliances".

Now the whole "MAY PERMIT" statement indicates that the load test is not actually a requirement but is a good thing to do if you can. This may be why the tester you have does not have the load test function.

Myself I have always carried out the load test as I feel it is one of the most important as it does actually check that the appliance runs properly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers:D

Reply to 110v pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net