Discuss 17th edition boards opening a can of worms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baldsparkies

Just thought I would start a thread on this one
Having spoken to many electricians out and about, I am finding more and more referances regarding customer call backs due to nuisance tripping of RCD's.

We all know that before installing a new duall rcd unit, one needs to verify the reason behind the decision, along with a pir to identify any possible defects prior to installing.

The problem seems to be approaching and educating the general public who have experianced no issues with there 15th edition install, untill say, we come along because that nice new kitchen and its related electrics have to comply with our new red book.

The problem of course is they expect a fixed price for the job and you have to explain the possible additional costs for such things as putting right low insulation faults borrowed neutrals, replacing that old mi cable feeding the garage not to mention appliance problems,:eek: Well you get the jist of what I mean.

Anyway any of you lads,lassies, have any comments on this one or experiances to share, I must say I have been reasonably lucky so far but you could easily find yourself out of pocket with a red faced customer if you get it wrong.

Have changed a few boards in the past to 17th edition boards and had nuisance tripping.Spent most of the day trying to find fault,only to find a pinched or crushed cable,usually caused by someone catching the cable to the back box with a screw.

Borrowed neutral on the lighting circuits has been my biggest problem. Explaining that to the customer is not easy, "Well it was alright before!" is the usual reply

Mark

Borrowed neutral on the lighting circuits has been my biggest problem. Explaining that to the customer is not easy, "Well it was alright before!" is the usual reply

Mark
I know what you mean.If you put a 17th edition split board in, then every circuit should be on its own rcd and you shouldn't have any problems with borrowed neutrals.Hopefully.Depends what is installed in the house,but a majority of circuits will have a designated circuit.

The thing is its not easy to get the general public to realise you are quite genuine about things like a pir before a board change. We have all been left with the 17th fine,but the public are often ill informed or competely unaware of what can or can't go wrong. Some would say thats our job to explain and to a point thats true, but I am still amazed by the kind of electrical goodies that can be bought by joe public in most leading diy stores even now.There are still a lot of people who have no idea about part P or the legal implications attached. :confused:

baldsparkie. Up hre in the north i dont think part p is in force. I do mainly industrial /commertial repairs so am not 100% sure what it involves.

When I am surveying a board change I always take time to explain the potential problems. Everything from interconnected circuits to nuisance tripping caused by appliances.

I also mention that to be sure a new C.U will operate a PIR should be completed beforehand. At that point I will tell them if there are any problems and how much they will cost to rectify. If at that point they don’t want to go ahead with the C.U change they just pay for the PIR until they can afford to pay for the remedial works. I also make sure that its also mentioned in the estimate letter,

The biggest problem I have with board changes is telling people there bonding needs to the replaced or installed, Members of the public cant see tangible benefit for that. But that’s a problem I have all the time regardless of what’s being done.

Ian

Reply to 17th edition boards opening a can of worms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock