Discuss 18th ed exam format questions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've booked to do the 18th edition exam, i have to do the 3 day course as i never did the update, i'm sure i could have passed just doing the one day course or just the exam.

Anyone done the 18th course/exam is the format of the 18th edition same as the 17th, 60 question, so many questions per part working from the front of the book to rear as this format layout shows for the 17th below.

18th ed exam format questions 17thedexam.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

That is pretty much exactly the same as the exams in all cases to my memory. There is a nice little crib sheet around somewhere someone up loaded really handy I must say can't remember who it was but thanks to them anyway.

Attachments

• 18th ed Quick Ref.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 124
The latest computer-based examination does move about a bit by subject and does not go through in an entirely methodical manner

The latest computer-based examination does move about a bit by subject and does not go through in an entirely methodical manner
I think even the 17th did not stick to the plan , I remember being all over the book . We were warned by the tutor that it would probably be the case and not think that we would not have to go back to previous sections.

Mine largely followed that running order, although there were a couple of questions that seemed to be out of part order. It doesn’t really matter though, but I do think on the print out you should be told what you got wrong, not just what section your wrong answer/s were in

You can do the exam only bud without wasting 3 days on the course. Exam format follows the book by section but once in a section they can come in any order.

As said it mostly follows the book but a few you will have to flick through where one section takes you to another and so on.

I didn't want the 3 days off purely because I would have found it boring going over the same stuff. I did the exam only which was £95+VAT and got 90%.

I would recommend using the online exam simulator found on sparky facts.

Personally I think for people that have previously achieved BS7671 it should be a one day course that's specifically about the new updates and not going over all the old stuff.

I'd say in my exam I had maybe 4 questions relative to the 18th (SPDs etc), the other 56 questions were the same as the 17th.

I think I had three questions at most on anything new. Had to take the three day course according to my scheme. Was a refreshing break from the tools and good to brush up on a few bits I hadn’t covered since college

I just did a 1 day update and then the exam which started at 17.30! That was a killer. I sat the 17th in 2008 and the only updates I did with the amendments were the NICEIC roadshow updates.

My exam roughly followed the book start to finish with a bit of flitting around. Of the 10 questions on special locations, 8 of mine were on bathrooms, 1 on confined spaces and 1 on pikey parks.

Good luck.

As said it mostly follows the book but a few you will have to flick through where one section takes you to another and so on.

I didn't want the 3 days off purely because I would have found it boring going over the same stuff. I did the exam only which was £95+VAT and got 90%.

I would recommend using the online exam simulator found on sparky facts.

Personally I think for people that have previously achieved BS7671 it should be a one day course that's specifically about the new updates and not going over all the old stuff.

I'd say in my exam I had maybe 4 questions relative to the 18th (SPDs etc), the other 56 questions were the same as the 17th.

My last BS7671 was 16th edition.
Just didn't bother with the 17th
Now my gaffer wants me to do the 18th.
They are paying the full 3 day course and the exam fee,

Vette

Reply to 18th ed exam format questions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock