Discuss 18th edition for gas engineer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie on here so be gentle!

So I’m a commercial gas engineer with over 20 years experience, so know my way around control panels etc and work on the electrical side on a daily basis, but have no formal training in electrics at all (don’t actually know how this is allowed!)

anyway I am looking around for another job but have noticed many reputable company’s that are paying a good rates now require 18th edition along with the relevant gas qualifications,

So I have been looking around and found a few online courses (NIC and learningzone) that offer online training courses and mock exams, and was think of going down this route,

anyway, my question is would this be a feasible route or would I struggle as I have zero knowledge of regs so far..,,

thanks

The 18th Edition course is literally a course on how to read a book. Its a doddle and many non- electrical trades take them. You can simply book yourself on as you are on a 2 or 3 day course and you will breeze it. Pass rate is ridiculously low and as long as you can read at a reasonable pace a child could do it......

The 18th Edition course is literally a course on how to read a book. Its a doddle and many non- electrical trades take them. You can simply book yourself on as you are on a 2 or 3 day course and you will breeze it. Pass rate is ridiculously low and as long as you can read at a reasonable pace a child could do it......
Should that read Fail rate is ridiculously low P&S?

Look up '18th edition practice papers'......in the 'search', top right of screen and try a few questions to give you an idea.
It should be quite simple if you got your reg book and know how to use it.

Thanks for the reply’s,

I will have a look at the test papers and youtube videos I have seen mentioned in other posts, see how I get on with them and then look at a 2-3 day courses if I’m still struggling

cheers

Thanks for the reply’s,

I will have a look at the test papers and youtube videos I have seen mentioned in other posts, see how I get on with them and then look at a 2-3 day courses if I’m still struggling

cheers
Don’t do a 2-3 day course. I did one when I returned to the industry over a weekend. Sat down, the trainer opened BS7671 read through bits of the contents page, then abbreviations and symbols etc followed by the first chapter. Then gave us some multi choice questions to answer. Then he read some more from chapter 2, then handed out some more multi choice. You get the picture.

Thanks for the reply’s,

cheers
Understandable Mate your from a totally Different trade so it's bound to be strange, I have to ask why are you bothering with this qualification?, is it something your firm requires you to do or a personal choice, but anyway good luck to you hope you do well, if you can read you are half way home.

I hold both Non domestic gas and the various electrical quals, if the OP can pass the comm gas papers, 18th will be easy. Its only 60% whereas gas is 100%.

I think there are some advantages to a 2-3 course as there is a time limit and the practice does help with speed.

When i did my 17th, chap in front of me slept through most of the 2-3 days and still managed around 65%, lol

I must say I cannot see doing the 18th edition would in anyway help to show competency in electrical work but what do I know. I really think it needs a course in doing things like spurs and the underpinning knowledge to do so safely.

Understandable Mate your from a totally Different trade so it's bound to be strange, I have to ask why are you bothering with this qualification?, is it something your firm requires you to do or a personal choice, but anyway good luck to you hope you do well, if you can read you are half way home.

just looking to do this course as I’m looking for a new job and a lot of employers require 18th edition, I'm guessing it’s more of a box ticking exercise on there behalf,

I'm well aware I won’t be an electrician after completing it, nor would claim to be!

Reply to 18th edition for gas engineer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net