Discuss 18th Edition - Poll - what are your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So we all know the unnamed, faceless bureaucrats are trying to push on us more costs via the 18th Edition so do you support these changes?

So we all know the unnamed, faceless bureaucrats are trying to push on us more costs via the 18th Edition so do you support these changes?
I voted yes, because technology is advancing, hence regulating these changes is a must.

However I strongly object to the, what I consider, are the needless publication of new and expensive documents, why BS7671 is not published in a ring binder method is mind boggling, it would be a simple transition, although it may be an expensive outlay at the first issue, subsequent additions, changes in the regulations and deletions would be a simple thing to do, publish the changes and insert them into your ring binder, simple, inexpensive for the users.

But of course the IET and the CP Schemes wont get as much revenue this way.

Then of course you have the ubiquitous courses and exams to bring you up to date, you have to ask yourself why? when all the courses and exams prove is that you can navigate your way through a British Standard, it does not make you a better Electrician, although there are some that believe it does, how anyone can fail this exam is beyond a joke.

So in short I agree with the changes but NOT the blatant monetary burden placed on hard working Electricians, every time some Mandarin in the IET decides to enforce many unnecessary changes.

Sorry for the long explanation:rolleyes:

I voted yes, because technology is advancing, hence regulating these changes is a must.

However I strongly object to the, what I consider, are the needless publication of new and expensive documents, why BS7671 is not published in a ring binder method is mind boggling, it would be a simple transition, although it may be an expensive outlay at the first issue, subsequent additions, changes in the regulations and deletions would be a simple thing to do, publish the changes and insert them into your ring binder, simple, inexpensive for the users.

Then of course you have the ubiquitous courses and exams to bring you up to date, you have to ask yourself why? when all the courses and exams prove is that you can navigate your way through a British Standard, it does not make you a better Electrician, although there are some that believe it does, how anyone can fail this exam is beyond a joke.

So in short I agree with the changes but NOT the blatant monetary burden placed on hard working Electricians, every time some Mandarin in the IET decides to enforce many unnecessary changes.

^^^^^If 'YES' was an acronym!^^^^^

Things change for a reason, and it being 2017 things move fast - hence why the regs are constantly evolving. The thing I disagree with is as others have said, the astronomical costs to have to buy all the published materials again. It's not just the regs, but OSG, then all the Guidance Notes and other documents.

Things change for a reason, and it being 2017 things move fast - hence why the regs are constantly evolving. The thing I disagree with is as others have said, the astronomical costs to have to buy all the published materials again. It's not just the regs, but OSG, then all the Guidance Notes and other documents.

You wait till you have to start to whack in earth rods, AFDD, SPD's and all the other abbreviations they've come up with :(

You wait till you have to start to whack in earth rods, AFDD, SPD's and all the other abbreviations they've come up with :(

Some of which other countries have been doing for years. We should be leading in terms of electrical technology, not dragging our feet like a two-year-old throwing a tantrum.

We were leading till we joined the EU, look what happened then.

images

Not sure you should be allowed to vote as you are retired ...And are unlikely to have all the expense and hassle.

I don't think they, the JPEL/64 have thought some of their proposals, like the earth rod, like the exemption for single domestic installations for not having SPD's. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, but if we get a Trump/Brexit equivalent, I hanging up me side cutters :)

Im ok for some of the changes but against some such as fitting Earth electrodes.
The draft gives no data on what size conductor to use and gives no consideration into a value of resistance we should be aiming for with regard to keeping the touch voltages low with regard to open neutral faults and the electrode carrying any load currents.
I can see it getting ditched for now but will be back in the coming amendments, when more research and data has been carried out.
Imagine a load of earth electrodes next to each other say in a block of flats , you may end up introducing a fault current into adjacent flats/ dwellings.
Needs tweaking and some clarity.

It would appear that some of the changes are not just about improvements but to facilitate the move towards electric vehicles for all.

The following, which is an extract from the full article about requirements for charging vehicles, offers some explanation for a TT system in domestics.

It is not clear at this stage the
effect of the Electricity Safety,
Quality and Continuity Regulations
on supplies to electric vehicles;
however, it seems reasonable to
assume the same requirements
would apply to a vehicle as a
caravan. If this was the case one
option would be to convert the
PME system to a TT system at
the charge point for the vehicle.
Persons involved in this work are
advised to seek advice from HSE.

IET Wiring Matters | Spring 10

Sorry Guys it seems I'm not allowed to vote because I'm retired so I'ii withdraw my vote, if I knew how, I'm also being accused of being a keyboard Warrior, aint that right Murdoch?

Reply to 18th Edition - Poll - what are your thoughts? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net