Discuss 1960s v shaped light fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My kitchen is 1960s and we're due to renovate it when we remortgage (hopefully we can get the funds together) but my main problem is the double strip light keeps flickering I've changed the strip but have to literally push the strip into the ceiling numerous times to get it to light after pressing the light switch. Its super old and i dont think we can last until we can get the funds together but all i want to do is switch the light on without having to push it up and cause safety risks. A local electrician was not keen on doing anything "just wait until you get it renovated" but im sure its an easy fix. The fitting is like a v shaped either side into the ceiling. I've got photos but dont know how to upload them. Any advice would be great

Two suggestions.
If by 'pushing' you mean seating or wriggling the tube in the sockets to make it make contact, the likely cause is that the contact springs in the sockets are loose or flattened and not pressing on the tube pins. See solution #1.

If what is happening is that the tube starts when you handle it, regardless of whether you are causing it to make better contact, then see solution #2.

#1 So long as the plastic is not broken, the contact between the sockets and the tube pins can probably be improved. By careful wriggling, locate the culprit if possible; one end might be OK and the other intermittent. Then switch off, isolate the circuit and turn off the main switch of the consumer unit to get both poles isolated. If possible, prove that the fitting is dead. Remove the tubes and look into the sockets through the holes where the tube pins engage. You will see metal contact springs either side of the holes that should press against the pins. Use a pointed tool to scrape off any deposits if the pin has been arcing against the contact spring, then gently hook the tool behind the contact and tease it out towards the centreline of the hole, only by a millimetre or so. Check and clean the tube pins, refit, re-energise and and re-test. As using the tool to manipulate the contacts will put you in solid contact with the circuit, I cannot stress too highly the importance of properly and securely isolating the circuit. If you have removable fuses, remove the appropriate fuse and keep it in your pocket.

#2 Question: Do the tubes always flash as they start up (plink, plink, fizzz) or do they just come on and/or ramp up to full brightness? If the latter, this uses an autotransformer or semi-resonant ballast not a switchstart choke. They were popular in the 1960s but are more demanding of the correct type of tube. I can see earthing contacts pressing on the tube caps and foils around the ends of one of the tubes, which definitely suggests one of the two starterless ballast types (also the lack of access to the gear to change the starter). These are supposed to be used with special striped tubes like this: Metal-Stripe Tubes (TLM) - https://www.firstlightdirect.com/metal-stripe-tubes-tlm

Plain tubes might work but might give trouble starting. The tubes look like T12s, which will probably work better than modern T8s. But if the contacts are good and you still have trouble with starting, try striped T12 tubes. If the stripe only reaches one end, that end goes in the fixed socket, not the retractable one.

If you can't identify the problem, post video of it starting.

Two suggestions.
If by 'pushing' you mean seating or wriggling the tube in the sockets to make it make contact, the likely cause is that the contact springs in the sockets are loose or flattened and not pressing on the tube pins. See solution #1.

If what is happening is that the tube starts when you handle it, regardless of whether you are causing it to make better contact, then see solution #2.

#1 So long as the plastic is not broken, the contact between the sockets and the tube pins can probably be improved. By careful wriggling, locate the culprit if possible; one end might be OK and the other intermittent. Then switch off, isolate the circuit and turn off the main switch of the consumer unit to get both poles isolated. If possible, prove that the fitting is dead. Remove the tubes and look into the sockets through the holes where the tube pins engage. You will see metal contact springs either side of the holes that should press against the pins. Use a pointed tool to scrape off any deposits if the pin has been arcing against the contact spring, then gently hook the tool behind the contact and tease it out towards the centreline of the hole, only by a millimetre or so. Check and clean the tube pins, refit, re-energise and and re-test. As using the tool to manipulate the contacts will put you in solid contact with the circuit, I cannot stress too highly the importance of properly and securely isolating the circuit. If you have removable fuses, remove the appropriate fuse and keep it in your pocket.

#2 Question: Do the tubes always flash as they start up (plink, plink, fizzz) or do they just come on and/or ramp up to full brightness? If the latter, this uses an autotransformer or semi-resonant ballast not a switchstart choke. They were popular in the 1960s but are more demanding of the correct type of tube. I can see earthing contacts pressing on the tube caps and foils around the ends of one of the tubes, which definitely suggests one of the two starterless ballast types (also the lack of access to the gear to change the starter). These are supposed to be used with special striped tubes like this: Metal-Stripe Tubes (TLM) - https://www.firstlightdirect.com/metal-stripe-tubes-tlm

Plain tubes might work but might give trouble starting. The tubes look like T12s, which will probably work better than modern T8s. But if the contacts are good and you still have trouble with starting, try striped T12 tubes. If the stripe only reaches one end, that end goes in the fixed socket, not the retractable one.

If you can't identify the problem, post video of it starting.
Thank you so much. I have to confess the tubes I've been using were left in the garage by the man who lived here since the house was built (we're the 2nd owners) and i found out he was a maintenence electrician who kept everything so these tubes could well be the age of the house. I'm going to purchase the appropriate tubes as you've advised as that seems the most cost effective solution, if this doesnt work try the more hands on solutions with taking the necessary precautions. If that doesnt work think i will have a quote to take the ceiling down and install a new light and replaster or just live with it until we can fully renovate. Thank you again what a detailed post with great detail

The old 6ft fittings were auto transformer start....65watt. The tubes have been a rare special for many years. There was difficulty designing a switch start 6ft version until, I think, the eighties. Awkward length for the electrons to swim crawl, I reckon.

That fitting looks like T12 buried in artex and needs removing, I would say.

Might need an archaeological dig.

Last edited:

Reply to 1960s v shaped light fittings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net