Discuss 1970 Firebird blowing passenger side switchback bulb consistantly. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Speedfreq

DIY
Reaction score
I have a 70 firebird with a new AAW harness and running led bulbs in all locations except headlights are HID and turn signals have been converted to drl/turn switch back led. The passenger side bulb blows very consistently usually either the turn light blows while sometimes the entire bulb goes. I was tempted to blame it on cheap Amazon junk but I've blown too many now that it has to be the car. The bulb will typically work normally for less than an hour. Heat was another consideration but the driver side works fine always. Anyway at wits end not really sure how to troubleshoot this issue.

Have you checked that the blown lamps are actually blown? In cases like this, the physical act of replacing the lamp disturbs the nearby wiring and temporarily improves a poor connection, so that the old lamp didn't work, but the new one does. Shortly afterwards, the poor connection re establishes itself, and the newly replaced lamp 'fails'.

Sorry to resurrect a pretty old thread but I have been working on other projects for a while and this fell to the wayside. Anyway the bulb in that one socket most definitely "smokes". I can't get a definitive time frame on when exactly it happens but it's usually within half an hour of the vehicle running. I guess what I'm really looking for is some way to diagnose what's happening. Is there a way to determine if the socket is getting a spike or something? If I didn't mention it before, that point is the last connection point in that particular harness, and yes I have many good grounds within the entire harness as a whole as well as off the end of that particular circuit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Reply to 1970 Firebird blowing passenger side switchback bulb consistantly. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock