Discuss 1mm or 1.5mm for all internal light runs ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone only ever use 1mm T&E for domestic lighting (Average 3 bed etc) Or are you using 1 mm &1.4mm for drops and runs etc ? Now that 90% of stuff is LED bulbs etc . Not thinking for exterior light etc .

Realistically 1mm is more than enough , 1.5mm in domestic lighting is just a waste of money and copper. Although I do like 1.5mm for surface clipped cables in garages or outbuildings, just nicer and easier to get looking spot on.

1.00 would be fine, if it wasn’t for 2 feet of insulation sitting on top of it, and it’s the main feed cable from the CU.

Why I use two sizes? I bought 1.00 in error, used it for some downlights etc, but next visit to wholesalers, I got 1.5.
Using both drums up now.

1.00 would be fine, if it wasn’t for 2 feet of insulation sitting on top of it, and it’s the main feed cable from the CU.

Why I use two sizes? I bought 1.00 in error, used it for some downlights etc, but next visit to wholesalers, I got 1.5.
Using both drums up now.
So your mistake then? can't see how you can try and convert people due to a mistake on your part.

For a small property (e.g. 3-bed semi-sized) then I normally use only 1mm2.

For a larger property (e.g. 3 storey mansion with longer cable runs) I typically use 1.5mm2 for the feed, which is nowadays going from CU to switch to switch. Then 1mm2 from the switches to lighting points, which will often be a string of downlights.

Not a problem to have reels of both, in fact I make sure I've got supplies of both.

longer runs on 3 or 4 storey houses use 1.5 the rest 1mm twin n earth; 1mm 3core for all switch wires to leave earth and neutral in each back box.

I think the norm used to be 1mm for downstairs lights and 1.5mm for upstairs to account for possible insulation which sometimes people put masses of it...

Personally I just use 1.5mm, for the simple reason that I only have to carry 2 reals, 1.5mm T+E and 1.5mm 3core and Earth rather than 4 reals.. I agree its a bit of a waste of copper but also prefer working with 1.5mm as when it goes into a screw terminal its less likely to break off... But thats just personal preference, I might change if copper prices keep going the way they are though..

I started off using 1mm , then moved over to 1.5mm as the price wasn’t much different back then

now I almost exclusively use 1mm for domestic lighting , I do have some 1.5 part rolls to use up if I feel it’s necessary

Our old friend the OSG has the length limits as 68m and 106m for 1mm and 1.5mm on a 6A circuit distributed circuit and the 3% VD limit. Realistically these days you are not counting 100W bulbs so it would be very odd to reach 6A on any light circuit (and with LED lights then 3% is a ridiculous limit to retain) so assuming actual load is 3A = 690W = 2.7kW halogen equivalent then doubling your OSG length limit is reasonable 136m (or 212m for 1.5mm but going to be Zs limited to less).

OSG has 1mm down at 36.2 mOhm/m and 6A MCB Zs limit is 5.87 ohms, so allowing 0.87 for a poor TN-S value of Ze then your length limit for meeting disconnection on Zs becomes 138m (or 165m for 1.5mm/1mm T&E).

Table 7.1(ii) has the CCC of 1mm as above 6A in all methods.

So realistically for any normal home, 1 or 2 stories, there is no electrical case to argue. Yes, for some mansion with a chandelier that would make Liberace jealous you might need some bigger cable, maybe even more MCBs, etc.

So I guess it is more down to physical characteristics and personal preferences.

I like 1mm as many LED lamps have piddling little push-in terminals with little bending radius for the conductors and 1mm is a lot easier then!

Last edited:
I like 1mm as many LED lamps have piddling little push-in terminals with little bending radius for the conductors and 1mm is a lot easier then!
Correct. For many years I have run the br/bl direct to the switch box as modern homes want a fancy light fitting (not a ceiling rose). Many of these light fittings are incapable of accepting two cables in their inadequate connectors. Plus there is no adequate arrangement for the loop live. So running a single T&E to the lighting point is advantageous.

Reply to 1mm or 1.5mm for all internal light runs ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock