Discuss 1mm or 1.5mm for all internal light runs ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I guess in the older days of 1 lighting circuit for the entire property with say 15 x 100w bulbs on it then 1.5 for the circuit might have been better

but in 99.9% of modern builds you have at least 2 designated lighting circuits with minimal loading on each so 1.0 is absolutely fine

i honestly don’t know why people waste 1.5 on domestic lighting

I guess in the older days of 1 lighting circuit for the entire property with say 15 x 100w bulbs on it then 1.5 for the circuit might have been better

but in 99.9% of modern builds you have at least 2 designated lighting circuits with minimal loading on each so 1.0 is absolutely fine

i honestly don’t know why people waste 1.5 on domestic lighting
In these parts most (if not all) wholesalers don't stock 1.0mm T&E, 1.5mm is generally used for lighting & heating

In these parts most (if not all) wholesalers don't stock 1.0mm T&E, 1.5mm is generally used for lighting & heating
I have never seen a coil of 1.0mm T&E. I am obliged to use 1.5mm here in ROI. However I am surprised that in NI you don't use 1.0mm as you are under UK regs.
I do agree though that 1.0mm is adequate, particularly with the advent of leds,and that the UK is correct in its approach. Gone are the days when a homeowner would have at least two, possibly three 500watt halogen security lights outside his house.

That is odd, maybe it is for ease of stock in both UK and ROI rules by the companies.

I can see some sense in stocking 1.5mm for the odd 16A radial circuit and its dual-use for lighting, but for many case I would just opt to use some 2.5mm in those cases as common with the usual RFC used here. Off hand I don't see a lot of 16A radials in use, odd immersion heater, maybe dedicated feed to a boiler or freezer?

However, it also seems odd the ROI does not permit 1mm for lighting like the UK does.

1.5 is all I've ever seen used for lighting over here, but oddly enough I spotted 1mm as strapper when finally righting the 2 way switch beside me, that was wired upside down. I don't have a great deal of experience in such matters, but it struck me as being unusual.

However, it also seems odd the ROI does not permit 1mm for lighting like the UK does.
There are no electrical reasons why it should, nt be permitted. Is it a major issue?... No. But there are times, such as when doing rewires and space in older conduits is very very tight, that a smaller size T&E can make a world of a difference.
That said I have also made good use of a 1.5mm lighting circuit on a 10 amp mcb on occasion whereby small items of electrical equipment could be connected to same circuit (provided they are under 300 watt)

Reply to 1mm or 1.5mm for all internal light runs ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net