Discuss 2 fused spurs connected - why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Timohno

DIY
Reaction score
Hi... I moved house fairly recently and I'm slowly uncovering 'quick fix jobs' all over the house from paint, render and now electrics.. I came across some electrics in the garage and I'm curious to know why they've done what they have and is it correct in any way, shape or form (and safe?!) please? Be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me, many thanks.
They seem to have a feed from the Garage fuse box into the switched fuse spur on the left... then they cut a hole in the right side and run feeds from the L/N/E into the fused spur on the right (Ive tried to sketch it if it helps?)... that feed then comes out and runs to a double socket on the wall which then runs onto another double socket further around the garage... So I guess my question is what is the purpose of the second fused feed on the right and it seems to be almost an 'extension' of the fuse box on the left? Could I not remove the fused right hand and run the sockets straight from the switched fuse? The fridge in there runs from the socket not directly into any fused connection. Hope that makes sense? Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• wiring01.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Spurs.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 42
So probably the two sets of supply terminals are linked and the load terminals of one of them have nothing connected?
Wild guess, maybe one of them fed lighting once.

So probably the two sets of supply terminals are linked and the load terminals of one of them have nothing connected?
Wild guess, maybe one of them fed lighting once.

As posted above probably the left one was switching something and has nothing connected to load terminals

Spur on right feeds sockets

Looking at the unpainted wall and spare clip I'm guessing a cable has been removed from the left one which may now be redundant. What it did before is anyone's guess!
The removed cable went to a junction box in the ceiling but nowhere from that so I took it out. I’m guessing it’s to something they needed to be able to switch on and off? Thanks

That looks to be the explanation
Thanks everyone that explains the junction box in the ceiling going nowhere. Consensus seems to be I don’t need the second spur and I can sockets from existing one? One other thing.. I bought mk back box but there’s no earth terminal in the box.. other back boxes had one so should I run an earth cable from the box (adding a terminal) to the front panel earth or can I leave as is ? ( currently there is no earth to the existing box) thanks everyone

You wouldn't remove anything though in this situation

The spare switched spur may be useful for something later or even lighting as mentioned

Thanks everyone that explains the junction box in the ceiling going nowhere. Consensus seems to be I don’t need the second spur and I can sockets from existing one? One other thing.. I bought mk back box but there’s no earth terminal in the box.. other back boxes had one so should I run an earth cable from the box (adding a terminal) to the front panel earth or can I leave as is ? ( currently there is no earth to the existing box) thanks everyone
the important thing is to connect earth/s to the faceplate earth terminal/s. a plastic back box does not itself need earthing, and a metal box is earthed from the faceplate via the 3.5mm fixing pins.

the important thing is to connect earth/s to the faceplate earth terminal/s. a plastic back box does not itself need earthing, and a metal box is earthed from the faceplate via the 3.5mm fixing pins.
Thanks.. yeah that was my confusion as an alternative plastic box I had bought had the earth terminal and instructed to connect to the faceplate using a small section of earth cabling.. I’ve seen it for metal spurs but was curious about the plastic one.. cheers

normally the earth terminal in a plastic back box is there purely as a parking point for earth wires, so as to get continuity. usyally found on lighting boxes where a plastic switch does not require earthing.

Reply to 2 fused spurs connected - why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net