Discuss 2 phase supply EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, doing a EICR wanted to know how you guys write up the circuit numbers, say for instance I have a 4 pole RCD and 4 circuits, but I only have 2 phases so the RCD has a neutral L1 and L2 but no L3

Would you write it as
L1-2/0
L1/1
L2/1
L1/2
L2/2

Thanks

Or, if the 3rd phase is ever going to be used in the future.....
1,2, miss one, 4,5, miss another

I'd leave that up to the electrician who does the conversion from 2 phase to 3, if they're going to the expense of having that upgrade done there will probably be quite a big bit of work being done anyway. 2 phase supplies are usually found where the DNO have only got a 2 phase HV supply available, so a change to 3 phase will require alterations to the 11kV network.

Three different things with two lines and a neutral:

2 phases and neutral from a normal 3-phase 4-wire distribution system - most often found where old 3-wire DC underground cables were reconnected to a 3-phase 4-wire supplies and might be upgraded to 3-phase by replacing the service cable or similar work. Mostly urban. Phases at 120 degrees. Vl/Vp=sqrt(3)

Split phase (230-0-230) - found where there is only single-phase HV, mostly rural. Would require new HV line and transformer to upgrade to 3-phase. Phases at 180 degrees. Vl/Vp=2

Genuine 2-phase power - went out with the ark, but was a competitive system in the early days of AC. If you find this in the UK, call me. I want to document it and maybe pinch the Scott transformer that's feeding it. Phases at 90 degrees. Vl/Vp=sqrt(2)

Reply to 2 phase supply EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock