Discuss 2 port / mid position valves in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

My only experience with these valves is at a mate's pad - and I've replaced two motors (actually, one motor and a head as it had other faults as well) in a few years. I would suggest that the best fix is to modify the pipework to 2off 2 port valves.
As to why people don't fit the relay as described above ... well that would a) cost time and money, and b) mean recognising that there's a problem. How many wetpants do you think actually understand these ? How many are happy to charge to keep replacing heads or motors ?

But don't forget that normally the cylinder stat will have turned off the HW demand before the programmer does. So unless the occupier has a habit of using a decent amount of hot water late at night, after the heating has gone off, then the CH will usually be the last demand.

If the cylinder stat has turned off before the programmer or the room stat switches off the heating, the valve will remain powered and in the heating position until either the power to the system is switched off for a short period or the programmer switches on the hot water and the cylinder stat has turned back on.

I would infer that it is to dump heat in the event of a power outage stopping the circulating pump. It is described as mounted high-up (presumably for gravity circulation) and might not provide useful heating if left operational under normal conditions, hence the use of the normally-open valve held shut electrically.
Yep,it's a familiar setting,with all described,as making sense....but it cannot be signed off as suitable for use,by a Hetas inspection,if required for any reason.

There are fundamental failures,in the described system. The Hetas accreditation has an extra module for wet systems,to allow installations to be checked as compliant.

The heat dump emitter is a safety addition,and whether or not it provides any functional heat,is secondary to it's inclusion,as a fail-safe part of the system. It is not valved,either by addition of manual or electric valves,deliberately,to prevent accidental or intentional non-operation.

The reason for all the above panic? ......is a solid fuelled boiler is most generally,an uncontrolled heat source,that is,whether it is 5,12 or 25Kw,it cannot be turned off instantly,as can a gas or electric device.

It just disregards any external faults,failures,power cuts or pumping,and continues inputting that heat in to the system,which by design,needs a means of dumping that heat,should all the other sinks (radiators,stored DHW,etc) be satisfied.

The means of dumping this excess heat,should never rely on valving or electrical power,as it needs to be permanently failsafe. The very fact that this thread begins with possible sticking electrical valving,is proof enough of the above reason.

The no valving,although much ignored,is there for a good reason. When these systems run in to flow issues,although open vented,the slowed or stalled water in the source,will kettle. This can be very dramatic,and sound like the end of the world,with vent pipes blowing the water out of header tanks,and such,but the banging and vibration will loosen all or any of the debris and scale,within the boiler and pipework.

This,with luck,will still make it through the pipework,but can form a blockage at any restriction,with any valve,even if open,providing an opportunity to choke.

The last part is even more dramatic,and has levelled many properties in the past.

It goes like this....blockage = steam build up = pressure increases/temp rises = standard copper/olives let go = release of pressure = heated water instantly flashes to steam 1600 times the volume,and kaboom.

The one and only reason i have painfully rattled on,is the thought that someone may trawl the web for solid fuelled info,and take a brief description of a system,as a blueprint for their own?

If the cylinder stat has turned off before the programmer or the room stat switches off the heating, the valve will remain powered and in the heating position until either the power to the system is switched off for a short period or the programmer switches on the hot water and the cylinder stat has turned back on.
Yes, quite correct, had to look at the schematics of this ingenious but devilishly cunning device again.

Reply to 2 port / mid position valves in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net