Discuss 2 way wiring old UK wiring confusion in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I need some help. I have a 2 x 1 gang 2 way light switches - 1 on the upstairs landing and 1 downstairs. They both used to work to control 1 light but have recently stopped. I have opened them up and messed around and now cluelesss how to put them back! The upstairs switch (2nd Picture) has 6 wires! 1 Earth (green/yellow), 2 red, 1 yellow, 1 black and 1 blue. The downstairs (pic1 )has 4 wires. 1 Earth (green/yellow), 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue. Can anyone shed anylight on this please? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6105186/2-way-light-switch-driving-me-mad/p1?new=1#
IMG-20200219-WA0000.jpgIMG-20200219-WA0001.jpg

Were those disconnected wires previously connected.

Were those disconnected wires previously connected.
Not sure which was connected I'm afraid as my dad was the one messing around but he said upstairs (picture 2) he didn't touch, just the downstairs one he messed around with (picture 1). Assuming he is telling the truth or he hasn't forgotten then picture 2's wires must have always been disconnected like that when it was working. Never seen a setup with 6 wires (especially the 2 reds) like that before.

I would say they were connected, one looks broken off. The connected red in the second picture is that the same cable as the blue and yellow wires.

I would say they were connected, one looks broken off. The connected red in the second picture is that the same cable as the blue and yellow wires.
In the 2nd pic there is a black, red and yellow connected to the switch. There is a spare blue and red disconnected (green/yello Earth also connected to light switch)

Is the connected red from the same cable as the blue and yellow.

They may have been disconnected for a reason but try disconnected red to yellow and disconnected blue to black. In the first pic connected blue to the spare terminal. Ensure power is off.

They may have been disconnected for a reason but try disconnected red to yellow and disconnected blue to black. In the first pic connected blue to the spare terminal. Ensure power is off.
Ok I will give that a go. Can I cause muych damage if that's wrong? Also can you please shed some light on what the 2 red wires and yellow wire are for?

If there is a fault then the circuit breaker won't stay on. The other wires are the two way switching. As I said they may have been disconnected for a reason.

The blue goes into the terminal with no wire in it.

Hi, apologies for the slow reply. Unfortunately the suggested setup did not work. I had to buy a multimeter to test to see what was live and had to move the wires around in both light switches upstairs (pic 2) and downstairs (pic1) above pics. I will attach 2 new pics of the way I have now got it working and configured. Thanks for the replies however and taking the time to respond. Will recommend the site going forwards.
[automerge]1582828134[/automerge]
Pic1 is downstairs.
Pic 2 is upstairs.
Both light switches now control the light on the landing upstairs.
Simple once you know how.
Thanks once again to both of you that replied.

Attachments

• Downstairs.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Upstairs.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 18

Reply to 2 way wiring old UK wiring confusion in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net