Discuss 2 x 10mm2 into socket terminals. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Questions to the OP:
What size OCPD is protecting this cable?
How long is the run?
Is this cable protected by an RCD?
Why have you opted for 10mm2, have you done any cable size calculations?
What installation method are you employing?
That's about it I think.
I think you hit the nail on the head in your post-No.3 Pete with the 20A radial from the shed to the sockets or from the house end.

You are not going to get 2x 10mm conductors in any 13a socket terminations. If you propose to use the 10mm supply cable in the way stated you will have to run it through a separate enclosure, terminate and take a smaller cable to each socket. However your method begs the question as to whether the 10mm is intended to be a distribution circuit feeding a DB at the shed end with RCD protection there, as it would now be a final circuit requiring RCD protection at source.

or he could fit IP65 RCD sockets, not sure if that would be allowed tapped into a distribution circuit. is there a reg. prohibiting that?

or he could fit IP65 RCD sockets, not sure if that would be allowed tapped into a distribution circuit. is there a reg. prohibiting that?
No you are right, he could do that....cant think of anything that would prohibit it, but as others have stated, the best option would seem to be a suitably sized final circuit coming back from the shed.

Originally, I thought ‘What a nasty forum – if this is how you welcome a newbie, I’m out of here’. Then I realised it was Friday night and a few beers might have been consumed after a tense working week. That may have been the reason but was not an excuse.
Thanks to those who made on-topic, constructive responses.

The outbuilding is to be a pottery studio and will have lights, a socket ring and heater spur (but no kiln, thank God) and is 50m from the origin CU, therefore the calc is just into 10mm2 to avoid excessive volt drop.

This new submain would share half of a split board (large house) and outdoor stuff is always at risk of tripping an RCD. A mate has advised me to give the shed and outdoor sockets a dedicated RCD/RCDs and also that I would have a distribution circuit doubling as a final circuit and it should be one or the other (as per Wirepuller).

I spoke to the customer yesterday to urge her to let me feed one outdoor socket from the shed mini CU (local RCD) and the one nearer the house (25m run) from an RCBO in a new mini board within the house. It’s a lot more cost and if she doesn’t buy it then I will have to cut the 10mm2 and put sockets on it as per plan ‘A’.

Originally, I thought ‘What a nasty forum – if this is how you welcome a newbie, I’m out of here’. Then I realised it was Friday night and a few beers might have been consumed after a tense working week. That may have been the reason but was not an excuse.

The outbuilding is to be a pottery studio and will have lights, a socket ring and heater spur (but no kiln, thank God) and is 50m from the origin CU, therefore the calc is just into 10mm2 to avoid excessive volt drop.

This new submain would share half of a split board (large house) and outdoor stuff is always at risk of tripping an RCD. A mate has advised me to give the shed and outdoor sockets a dedicated RCD/RCDs and also that I would have a distribution circuit doubling as a final circuit and it should be one or the other (as per Wirepuller).

I spoke to the customer yesterday to urge her to let me feed one outdoor socket from the shed mini CU (local RCD) and the one nearer the house (25m run) from an RCBO in a new mini board within the house. It’s a lot more cost and if she doesn’t buy it then I will have to cut the 10mm2 and put sockets on it as per plan ‘A’.
No don't revert to Plan A M,Lord, it's the wrong thing to do.

I personally wouldn’t cut the s.w.a , Take it as one piece length all way down to the shed end and terminate in the consumer unit . Are you sure you require 10mm I almost always exclusively use 4mm or 6mm for shed hook ups (2.5mm if it’s just a socket and light).
Anyway back to the question... then just take some 2.5mm s.w.a feeds from the shed to feed some exterior sockets.
Much easier to terminate

The trouble is the socket and light in the shed in most cases always morphs into something bigger than was originally intended

I will have to cut the 10mm2 and put sockets on it as per plan ‘A’.
So how do you intend to get two 10mm cables into a socket you can only get two 6mm in at best on the sockets that have larger bellmouth terminals What is the design current plus protective device are you using as socket-outlet terminals are only rated at so much.

You may well have to use that swa to feed 3 distribution positions,the shed at the end and each socket position otherwise a troublesome socket problem could well end up knocking the innocent shed off power if you revert to plan A

I think the 2 socket positions would at the minimum need a double pole isolator and a mcb housed in a weatherproof unit
By the time she would pay for these, the swa from the shed will seem like less of a cost heart attack to her

I still stand by my post and believe you need to get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work safely......also you as the electrician should advise the client how the work will be done and not the other way around...... and by the way I don't drink

just daisy chain a bunch of these into a 13 amp fcu :)

wickes.co.uk/Masterplug-Weatherproof-Garden-Spike-Lead---15m-10A/p/117877?utm_source=google&scid=scplp117877&sc_intid=117877&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIspWUkJXH4wIVg7TtCh02TwySEAQYBCABEgIu5PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't feed sockets directly from the distribution circuit like this, there's no regulation about it because the people who write the regs don't expect anyone to be so daft that they need to be told it's a bad idea!

"a mate has advised me" is a worrying thing to state, if you are designing the installation then you should have sufficient knowledge of the regulations, or at least he able to read up on the relevent regulations to do the design.

If this distribution circuit is going to be on an RCD protected way in a CU then it's a terrible design and pitting extra RCDs after it will achieve nothing.

I still stand by my post and believe you need to get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work safely......also you as the electrician should advise the client how the work will be done and not the other way around...... and by the way I don't drink

Totally agree
Get someone in who has the knowledge and experience to design the installation. And I would say by original post that this is a new circuit and would need certification. And not being nasty but by the original question is the person competent to initial test and verify the circuit and issue paperwork under part P ?

Reply to 2 x 10mm2 into socket terminals. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock