Discuss 2330 level 3 to proceed? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steve

Hi im currently about to start my last year of my C+G 2330 Level 2.
Is it possible for me to take my inspection and test (2390?) without paying out for another year ie. Level 3
Will i be able to get a job for one and will i be able to get part p certified if i choose not to take my level 3.
Im trying for a change of career, im 32. What are my chances of finding work as ive heard a lot of stories about the course being a waste of time for people trying to get in to the game. Im not in the game at the moment but used to work as a sparks mate a few years ago mainly doing basic jobs like running cables and second fixings etc:confused:

presumably you mean the 2391 inspection & testing

yes you can take it without 2330 L3

there are NO formal requisites for sitting this, however, as it is now 17th edition based, it is reasonable that you should be qualified in this

Any potential student that comes to me and wants to sit 2391, I would insist they have a 17th edition qual (and that's not just C&G, EAL do one as well, which is equally valid)

and i would also insist that they have demonstratable knowledge of inspecting and testing

To become a memebr of a competent persons scheme (which i presume is what you mean by part p certified) you need a minimum of a level 2 installation qual, which you have with 2330 L2 (using NIC's domestic installer scheme as an example)

they accept the EAL domestic installers VRW which is L2

take a look at their website and see if your quals wll satisfy their requirement

presumably you mean the 2391 inspection & testing

yes you can take it without 2330 L3

there are NO formal requisites for sitting this, however, as it is now 17th edition based, it is reasonable that you should be qualified in this

Any potential student that comes to me and wants to sit 2391, I would insist they have a 17th edition qual (and that's not just C&G, EAL do one as well, which is equally valid)

and i would also insist that they have demonstratable knowledge of inspecting and testing

To become a memebr of a competent persons scheme (which i presume is what you mean by part p certified) you need a minimum of a level 2 installation qual, which you have with 2330 L2 (using NIC's domestic installer scheme as an example)

they accept the EAL domestic installers VRW which is L2

take a look at their website and see if your quals wll satisfy their requirement

I was told that you couldnt do 2391 without doing 2330 as there was a problem with funding, is this correct?

Personally I would recommend doing the level 3, as there are a couple of units (302 and 303) that are Inspect and Test and Fault Finding - whilst it may not be a prerequisite to pass the 2391, I reckon it'd be pretty handy to have as much experience as possible before you launch into it.

As far as I know, you can do the 2391 as an intensive short course which is pretty much done and dusted in a couple of weeks or so.

Not being funny, but I think that even if you did manage to cram it all in and pass the exam, having only a couple of weeks of it might not be the best set up for the future if you know what I mean?

At least doing the level 3 you get eased into it, have enough time to ask questions and query anything you don't understand, and also get the practical assessment (though I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar with the 2391).

If money is the issue, there's always a bit of help available - I had enough set by for my first year, which was only £300, but when they pushed the price up to £700something for the second year I knew it was gonna be a bit of a struggle on the money I was on.

I went and had a chat to student services, showed them a few payslips, and they agreed that I qualified for low income support - I managed to get a fair whack paid for. You don't ask, you don't get.

The level of knowledge on the level 3 is so much broader that I would really say if you're serious about being a spark, you can't really do without it. At the beginning of the year my Stepdad (who is trained as an electrical engineer) said something to me about "Oh, well it's all triangles, isn't it?" - and I hadn't a clue what he was on about. Now, come the end of the year, I really see what he meant. Level 2 you go over your Ohm's law and all that business, but level 3 you start getting into your power triangles, impedance triangles . . . basically it takes a lot of the disparate concepts from level 2 and marries them together so that they all makes sense.

I know it's another year, and I know it's more money, but I'd say do the level 3

I was told that you couldnt do 2391 without doing 2330 as there was a problem with funding, is this correct?

Maybe, maybe not, but my point is there is no technical or qulaifiaction based reason why you need to do 2330 before 2391

I TEACH 2391, and dont have 2330!

Personally I would recommend doing the level 3, as there are a couple of units (302 and 303) that are Inspect and Test and Fault Finding - whilst it may not be a prerequisite to pass the 2391, I reckon it'd be pretty handy to have as much experience as possible before you launch into it.

As far as I know, you can do the 2391 as an intensive short course which is pretty much done and dusted in a couple of weeks or so.

Not being funny, but I think that even if you did manage to cram it all in and pass the exam, having only a couple of weeks of it might not be the best set up for the future if you know what I mean?

At least doing the level 3 you get eased into it, have enough time to ask questions and query anything you don't understand, and also get the practical assessment (though I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar with the 2391).

If money is the issue, there's always a bit of help available - I had enough set by for my first year, which was only £300, but when they pushed the price up to £700something for the second year I knew it was gonna be a bit of a struggle on the money I was on.

I went and had a chat to student services, showed them a few payslips, and they agreed that I qualified for low income support - I managed to get a fair whack paid for. You don't ask, you don't get.

The level of knowledge on the level 3 is so much broader that I would really say if you're serious about being a spark, you can't really do without it. At the beginning of the year my Stepdad (who is trained as an electrical engineer) said something to me about "Oh, well it's all triangles, isn't it?" - and I hadn't a clue what he was on about. Now, come the end of the year, I really see what he meant. Level 2 you go over your Ohm's law and all that business, but level 3 you start getting into your power triangles, impedance triangles . . . basically it takes a lot of the disparate concepts from level 2 and marries them together so that they all makes sense.

I know it's another year, and I know it's more money, but I'd say do the level 3

I teach the 2391 in one week, and thats why i said somone would have to demonstrate knowledge of inspection and testing to me before enroling.

no-one is gonna walk in off the street and pick it up in a week.

Most of my 2391 students will have tested and inspected on the EAL DEI course, and completed their 2392 before I will even book them in for their 2391.

For some i want them to get 6 months experience after 2392 before i will book their 2391

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 2330 level 3 to proceed? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net