Search the forum,

Discuss 240v door hold backs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
with an addresiable fire alarm system with a 240v door magnetic hold backs would the supply be taken to a relay then linked to the interface to release the power to the relay cutting to door mags?

It depends, some addressable relay modules allow switching of mains voltages. If the holders are being connected into the panel rather than along one of the loops then an external relay will almost certainly be needed to keep mains voltages off of the fire alarm panels PCB.

It depends, some addressable relay modules allow switching of mains voltages. If the holders are being connected into the panel rather than along one of the loops then an external relay will almost certainly be needed to keep mains voltages off of the fire alarm panels PCB.
The 240v door release circuit has stopped working. I have found the interface for the ground floor and a relay next to it but no voltage prescent. Would the supply come straight from the door closure supply at the consumer unit to the relay? No one seems to know the system set up or location of different parts.

Is this a different site to your other thread.
Yes diffent job funny enough for the same chap thou. He asked me to take a look at a care home down the road. found the relay and interface for the ground floor closures but no voltage on the relay. Mcb on board is on and working fine but as we don't do much fire alarm work was trying to map out what he has. I'm taking it the supply goes to the relay which is the controlled via the interface? It's a funny set up as the stair lift is off the door closer supply on ground floor but cables at rely are 1.0mm rather than the 2.5mm coming out of consumer unit. No cables are going back to board so only thing I can think is weather a spur has been installed before the relay which has gone. Any thoughts?

So they are definitely 230v and not holding open, none of them.
Yes defiantly 230v as I have checked the door magnets when I first looked earlier. None are staying open on ground floor the first floor is fine but that's from another circuit on a consumer unit in first floor. Am I right in suggesting that the supply will go to relay then interface will interrupt supply on activation? Only thing I can't work out is the change in cable size and the stair lift off the same circuit. That's what makes me think maybe a fuse spur is installed before the relay but as we don't do much with fire alarms not to sure

Well this will involve a bit of basic fault finding and if the first floor stay open then yes the mains supply may have been lost.

Well this will involve a bit of basic fault finding and if the first floor stay open then yes the mains supply may have been lost.
Am I right in thinking thou that the supply has been lost from the stair lift supply and the relay? It may be the case as no one knows any location of isolators to renew the supply to the relay. Stair lift is near the interface and relay in a cupboard which was a struggle to fine.

If the stair lift is also not functioning there is probably a supply loss. You need to do a bit of methodical fault finding.

If the stair lift is also not functioning there is probably a supply loss. You need to do a bit of methodical fault finding.
Stair lifts working fine and power to the spur feeding that. Nothing going across to relay which must be linked from around that area. I'm thinking it must be a spur fuse that has gone but wasn't sure if the feed normally goes to the relay on these circuits using the interface to release the relay.

You need to do some investigating but yes the supply should go to the door release enclosure.

Reply to 240v door hold backs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net