Discuss 3-core (rather than 2-core) SWA requirement for EV chargers...? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Eh up :)

A client (also a friend of mine) bought a new electric car, and it came with "free charger install" by Podpoint. As it's not a simple job getting power from the service head/DB (under the stairs, in the middle of the house, with solid floors) to the detached brick garage (approx 50m of cable away) the "free charger installer" people have sucked their teeth and told my client to get an electrician in to do the donkey work, i.e. me. I intend to put a small DB on the end of the SWA in the garage as otherwise they want me to run a data cable back to the house as well, which would be a pain.

With the cable run being about 50m ± 5m, 6mm is pushing it for voltage drop (assuming 32A). I was leaning towards 10mm... particularly if further circuits are added to the new DB.

The specs of what they needed to be in place stated, "minimum 6mm 3 core SWA"

I queried this... I asked: "You state a minimum of 3-core 6mm SWA. Subject to verification by calculation for voltage drop, EFLI (as well as CCC), is there a technical reason why 2-core SWA would not be suitable, using the armour as the CPC? Or, if VD calculations require it, 2-core 10mm?"

They replied, "All power cables have to be 3 core to comply with regulations."

There's nothing extraneous in (or near) the brick garage (overall supply is TN-C-S)... if there was then 10mm 3-core SWA would be the way to go, obviously.

Other than the usual "belt and braces" (i.e. waste of copper) and/or future-proofing in case extraneous parts are introduced to the garage in future and need to be bonded back to the MET in the house, are there any regulations specific to EV chargers that require 3-core SWA? I've had a good look at Section 722, but I don't as a rule do EV charger installs so I don't know if I'm missing something...?

The difference between 50m of 10mm 2-core and 3-core is about £75 at the moment... it's not so much my client's money, it's more the principle (and the extra weight/size of the cable).

Thanks! :)

The ‘free charger installer’ people don’t know what they are talking about. Most likely they know nothing about volt drop or installation methods or anything else. They probably just fit 6mm2 3 core on every job because that’s what they have always done. I know because most ‘electricians’ are like this.

Ask them to quote to reg number.

Nothing in section 722, nothing was mentioned on the EVCP course, nothing anywhere that I can see why it can't be used. However, I would always use 3 core.... but I don't really know why!
I guess i just like the idea of the armour being just that, and the CPC safely tucked behind it.

My mates waiting for Scottish Power to come fit a charger organised through his job as it’s a company car…
They wanted a photograph of his consumer unit, and him to measure the run from the board to the outside wall. Then they sent him a box which had a charger in it, a 15m length of 4mm rubber flex already connected and the correct make 32A rcbo to fit his board.

AFAIK, he’s still waiting for them, and his car is plugged into a regular 13A socket (not one suitable for EV)

You could opt for the EV-Ultra cable. The cable incorporates power conductors and a 2 core screened data cable.
Other (cheaper) suppliers are available!

You could opt for the EV-Ultra cable. The cable incorporates power conductors and a 2 core screened data cable.
Other (cheaper) suppliers are available!
I don't think HappyS is going to want that cable if he's trying to save money on a standard 3 core! ?
I've just used the EV-ultra and it's bloody expensive!

Pod Point dont like anything beyond the ordinary and cant think out of the box, the quality of some of the installs I have seen for domestic chargers is lacking...
personally I would speak to your mate and tell him that as the charger is only £440 +VAT in Medlocks or Yes get one and fit it yourself under the grant. will be cheaper than getting the installer from podpoint to install and at least its done properly.

Reply to 3-core (rather than 2-core) SWA requirement for EV chargers...? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock