Discuss 3 phase in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

boris1348

Hi there,
i have been asked to help design an installation for a new house which is very large.
it has a 3 phase supply and i need to run some sub mains to seperate consumer units.:confused:
should i run the sub mains in 3 phase then into single phase at each of the seperate
consumer units or run single phase sub mains straight from the original 3 phase supply.
any help would be appreciated.
Boris

Hi there,
i have been asked to help design an installation for a new house which is very large.
it has a 3 phase supply and i need to run some sub mains to seperate consumer units.:confused:
should i run the sub mains in 3 phase then into single phase at each of the seperate
consumer units or run single phase sub mains straight from the original 3 phase supply.
any help would be appreciated.
Boris

depends how far apart the CU's are

i would tend to go for single phase submains, other wise how are you going to change from three phase to single phase ?

one mains will be 45 meters away, 2nd will be 25 meters away, the others will be roughly 15 meters from original 3 phase suplly.
there will be 6 sub mains to run in total.
would you still use single phase?
thanks.

I'm amazed the electric supplier has given 3 phase supply, normally you have to prove you need it. Is there going to be any 3 phase equipment? Might be aswell to design and cost with 3 phase cable to each sub main CU and if u only end up with one phase then the 2 spare wires are there for the future. Also depends on the expected load at each CU.

I'm amazed the electric supplier has given 3 phase supply, normally you have to prove you need it. Is there going to be any 3 phase equipment? Might be aswell to design and cost with 3 phase cable to each sub main CU and if u only end up with one phase then the 2 spare wires are there for the future. Also depends on the expected load at each CU.

But this was my earlier point, if you are using single phase CU's, how are you going to terminate the three phase?

I would just treat the three phase as three seperate phases, and run them out as single phases. Only thing to remember is warning notices if you have socket outlets in close proximity running off seperate phases (warning:400V etc)

the expected load is going to be 20kva's at 3 of the cu's.
the other 3 will be roughly 10kva's.
there is no 3 phase equipment but anything over 25kva's for an installation the electric supplier insists on 3 phase.
thanks shakey

Reply to 3 phase in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock