Discuss 3 Types of Meter Tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening!

Once upon a time I would use 25mm meter tails which comprised of 7 strands. I now use a 19 strand version. The other day, however, I'm sure I spotted a very fine stranded version on a page on YouTube or in a catalogue/magazine etc.

Anyone know what this would have been and is it acceptable to be used as meter tails, is it better, is it cheaper etc etc.?

You probably saw something like this:
Often sold as "DC cables" simply because they tend to get used for telecoms DC power stuff. Obviously the cable is not bother by AC or DC use!

They seem to be like an over-sheathed version of tri-rated cable but not the same temperature spec, the 6381Y seems usually to be specified at 70C where as you can get over-sheathed tri-rated from some suppliers rated to 105C operation:

Of course not many accessories (or adjacent cables) are rated to 105C so that is often not a sane operation level!

For meter tails I would stick with the 19-strand, assuming your DNO is OK with that.

It is easy enough to wrangle, not going to come out of the main CU switch, etc, with any ease (certainly not if you use a gland as best practice) and it still has enough stiffness to allow neat routing to stay in place without loads of clips.

Reply to 3 Types of Meter Tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Was helping a friend out and changing their CU which had a date stamp from 1990. Good quality Merlin-Gerin unit and a nice job originally. They...
Replies
Views
On a new build site how/ why are people getting away with installing meter tails over 3metres in length and behind dot and dabbed walls with no...
Replies
Views
I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views
Hi all -- full disclosure I am a 'DIY-er' but wanted to post here for greater visibility seeing as I certainly won't be doing this work myself...
Replies
Views
I'm in the middle of preparing a quote for installing 12 x 3Kw and 4 x 2Kw halogen heaters in a church. The system design was provided by a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock